MSU Winter Trends Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. The snow is falling, the wind is blowing, and students are hunched over trying to make it to class. At MSU we know that we are going to be outside more then most, be it walking 20 minuets to class or waiting that long for the CATA bus. With all this outdoors time we Spartans have nearly perfected the art of winter wear!

Last year there were a few staples in the female wardrobe. Number one on the list last year was the North face parka.
 The jacket fell to knee length and was heavily padded. These parkas are as popular as the Denali style and twice as expensive. They were a hit last year and I know that we will be seeing them again this year. The thing to wear under you parka is the cardigan, it’s been building for years but now nearly every girl has one. Be sure to pick one up this winter from stores like American Eagle.

Another big thing to have were the UGG boots. Even if the boot doesn’t keep your feet warm, or dry, we will still traipse around campus in them. It is not just the basic brown boot anymore, we have expanded our style. The MSU campus is a runway for the latest UGG styles lately

If you are not on the UGG bandwagon then there is a good chance you found Hunter. Hunter is a brand that we saw some of last year, but really kicked off this year. Hunter comes in mostly tall black rain boots, and the current trend is to buy rain boot liners to accompany the boot. Rain liners can be found in a variety of colors or patterns at nearly any shoe store, or in the shoe departments at Meijer and Wal-Mart.

With all these boots trending right now you need the tall boot socks to go with them. DSW and Target carry them and they are a cute accessory that peeks over your boots. Plus, they keep your feet and legs nice and toasty in the cold Michigan weather. 

Remember those cute knitted ear warmers, always decorated with one big flower from last year? Well those are back again, looking cute as ever. The only difference is that unlike last year you can find these cute accessories everywhere now. From Forever 21 for $5-7 to Urban Outfitters you can find this style in nearly every color and a variety of designs. This is definitely the style to be wearing this Winter.

You need to have “glittens”. They are fingerless gloves that can be transformed into mittens by flipping the top over your fingers. These are perfect if you need to text or change the song on your iPod without taking off your gloves.  

There are two new trends ruling the campus this year, one being big chunky knit scarves. They can found in stores like Old Navy and Aeropastale.  Perfect for that shabby chic look and staying warm. The other big trend is snow boots. This year people seem to be pushing for practicality over style. Although they may not be as cute as the hunter or UGGs they will keep your feet warm and dry. Find them at basically any shoe store. 

Now that we know what to wear this year, it’s time to put them together. Last year nearly every girl was wearing the long North Face parka, black leggings, and UGG boots. Although we are still seeing a lot of that this year has been altered a little bit. I’ve seen a lot of leggings through the fall semester but almost as many skinny jeans are walking around Farm Lane too.  The outfit this year is skinny jeans, tall boot socks, and tall snow boots with big loose fit cardigans under that North face parka. Just don’t forget the embellished knitted ear warmers!

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!