Katie Kochanny ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Editor’s Note: In a nearly unanimous vote, Katie was honored Her Campus-MSU’s Staffer of the Semester for Spring Semester 2016. This interview is meant to both recognize and celebrate Katie for all of her hard work this semester. On behalf of myself and HCMSU, thank you for your commitment to our chapter, Katie. Between your positivity and eagerness to help, you have been a great addition to our team.

Name: Katie Kochanny

Year: Sophomore

Major: Advertising with a minor in Public Relations

Hometown: Suttons Bay, Michigan

How long have you been a member of Her Campus-MSU? I joined Her Campus at the beginning of the Fall 2015 semester.

What made you decide to join HCMSU? I joined HCMSU because writing has always been a passion of mine, and it was exciting to think that my pieces could actually be published. I had heard of Her Campus before, so once I found out that MSU had a chapter I was sold! I joined the very next day and have loved it ever since.

What is your favorite part about being a member of HCMSU? This is a tough question because it’s hard to pick just one thing! I love being able to write freely about things I’m interested in, and I love being surrounded by a supporting, fun group of girls who all share similar interests. I’ve met so many great people over this past year, and it has made it all that much more enjoyable!

What are some of your favorite articles that you wrote this semester? My two favorite articles were “Love Yourself” and “30 Signs You’re From Michigan.” I love the first one because it was a topic I felt strongly about, and I got such great feedback from those who read it! My Michigan article went viral which was absolutely amazing, and it was fun to think of what makes Michigan so great.

What is involved in the process of writing an article? A lot of things are involved in the process of writing an article! For me, it seems to come easy because I love to write so much. I start by simply getting all of my ideas down and then finding a way to connect them into one piece. I always want my articles to be as polished and professional as they can be, so I make sure to edit them at least three times before I submit them!  

What are some of your biggest accomplishments as an HCMSU member this semester? Having an article go viral was a huge accomplishment for me this semester! I also think that being on our executive board has helped me become an even better HCMSU member. I’m now able to come up with new ideas for our chapter and work alongside a group of hardworking and creative people!

How did you feel when you were honored HCMSU Staffer of the Semester? Absolutely ecstatic! It’s always nice to know that your hard work pays off. I love Her Campus, and it’s great knowing that my contributions are helping to make it an even better chapter.

How did you feel when you were honored HCMSU Outstanding E-Board Member? This was just as amazing as being awarded Staffer of the Semester! Being chosen for E-Board was very exciting for me, so I made a goal to contribute all that I could to our chapter and constantly bring new ideas to the table. Joining Her Campus is one of the best decisions I’ve made since coming to MSU, and I’ve loved playing such a large role in its development!

In your opinion, what made you a good candidate for Staffer of the Semester? I think my optimism and willingness to help made me a good candidate. I’m passionate about our Her Campus chapter and want nothing more than for it to keep growing. Our members work hard and are very talented writers, so I want more people to see that! I always try to keep a positive attitude and put 110% into the pieces I write. Being chosen for Staffer of the Semester has motivated me to work harder and make our next semester the best yet.

What are you most looking forward to with HCMSU next semester? New members! As you may know by now, I absolutely love Her Campus and want more girls to see what an incredible group it really is. I’d like to focus on getting more people to join and try to make more of an impact on campus!

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian