5 Ways to Get out of the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Once the winter season comes around, many people tend to fall into funks, including myself. It gets darker earlier, the sun is rarely ever shining, and there’s really not much to do when it’s bitter cold out. However, I’ve found a few ways to keep myself uplifted during this gloomy season! Here are five ways to get yourself out of the winter blues: 

1. Hang out with friends and family.

From personal experience, being surrounded by the people you care about is always reassuring. Being able to laugh and have fun with those around you is such a great release of stress and worries. Spending time with friends and family is a nice way to get your mind off things along with giving you a sense of comfort! 

2. Exercise.

Exercising is one of the best ways to keep your mind sane. Along with being a mental and physical stress reliever, being active boosts happy chemicals which are called endorphins in which your brain releases. This creates feelings of bliss and gives yourself some peace of mind!

3. Listen to upbeat, feel-good music.

Whenever I find myself falling into a funk, especially during the winter, I always resort to music. Jamming out and dancing around to certain songs is a nice way to boost your mood. I highly recommend creating a feel-good playlist made up of any songs of your choice that make you want to jump around and sing like no one is watching or listening! 

4. Get some sun.

When being exposed to sunlight, your brain releases hormones called serotonin which helps your mind become calm and focused. One of the main reasons why people tend to get into the winter blues is due to the lack of sun and vitamin D. Enjoying the sun and soaking up the rays may be a little tricky to do being that it is below freezing outside but just taking a quick walk outside, opening up the blinds in your room, or even sitting by a window will do justice! Even if you’re not able to get some sun, taking supplements is a good a substitution as well.

5. Keep busy and be productive! 

When it’s winter time, everyone tends to automatically go into sleep mode. However, it’s important to be productive during the winter, whether it’s waking up early, finishing a book, or even running a few errands! The benefit of being kept busy is that your mind is preoccupied which means you won’t get as lost in your thoughts. In the end, feeling like you’ve been productive gives you a sense of accomplishment and reassurance! 

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Hope is a junior at Montclair State University, majoring in English. She is the current Lifestyle editor at Her Campus Montclair. Besides having a love for writing, you can often find her listening and discovering new music, admiring sunsets, and fangirling over dogs. 
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.