5 Low-Calorie Cocktails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Now that the semester is finally over, it’s more than time to usher in summer, parties, and tons of fresh fruit. Though we all have the urge to grab at all the fruity cocktails we find – because who can resist the tiny umbrellas – it’s best to check what makes up that drink first. Many of the traditional cocktails pack a huge calorie punch, averaging well over 300 calories! These fruity and delicious alternate cocktail recipes not only will keep you cool during family barbecues and evenings with friends, but keep you guilt free enough to enjoy the summer.

Salty Chihuahua (188 calories):

Said to be named after a bartender from Chihuahua Mexico, this drink is a healthy twist on the classic margarita.

1 ounce tequila

½ ounce orange flavored liqueur

¾ cups grapefruit juice

Grapefruit slices for garnish

Wet the rim of the glass and coat with salt if desired. Fill glass with ice. Pour 1 ounce tequila and ½ orange liqueur into glass. Put ¾ cup of grapefruit juice and stir. Garnish with grapefruit slice. (makes 4 glasses)

(recipe from fitnessmagazine.com)

Watermelon Gin Fizz (153 calories):

A pretty pink cocktail that uses the ultimate summer staple – watermelon – to create a delicious drink both with and without the alcohol.

2 cups diced watermelon

1 ½ ounce gin

2 tablespoons lime juice

1/3 cup ginger ale

Lime wedges for garnish

Freeze 1 cup of watermelon for garnish.

Puree remaining cup and strain. Pour juice into glass and top with 1 ½ ounces of gin, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and 1/3 cup ginger ale. Garnish with frozen watermelon and lime slice if desired. (makes 4 glasses)

(recipe from fitnessmagazine.com)

Strawberry-Coconut Daiquiri (112 calories):

Hosting a pool day with the girls? Make a pitcher of this twist on the traditional strawberry daiquiri for  low-calorie indulgence.

2 ½ cups of strawberries (chopped fresh or frozen)

3 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons lime juice

3 cups ice cubes

3/4 cup coconut rum

Combine strawberries, sugar, and lime together in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add in ice cubes and rum and blend until frothy. Transfer to pitcher and enjoy! (makes six ¾ cup servings)

(recipe from fitnessmagazine.com)

ICEy Slide (under 150 calories):

This amped up version of the class Black Raspberry ICE not only provides a refreshing fizzy drink, but antioxidants from the berries.

1 ounce bourbon

1 ounce dry vermouth

Black Raspberry Sparkling ICE

Blackberries for garnish

Combine all ingredients into tall glass and stir. Garnish with blackberries and enjoy!

(recipe from cosmopolitan.com)

Creamy Pineapple (under 150 calories):

Stuck on the queen of all summer cocktails, the Pina Colada? Try this pineapple infused drink instead for all the pleasure with a third of the guilt!

1 ½ ounce Bacardi

¾ ounce Perfect Puree Caramelized Pineapple Concentrate

½ ounce lemon juice

½ ounce agave nectar

½ ounce pineapple juice

Grilled pineapple wedge as garnish

Combine all ingredients and ice into cocktail shaker. Shake well and strain contents into glass. Garnish with grilled pineapple wedge.

(recipe from cosmopolitan.com)

For additional ease in keeping the calories down, visit skinnygirlcocktails.com for a list of the ready-made, low calorie cocktails. 

Photo Sources: 1 2 3 4 5