7 Reasons Why October Is The Best Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

There are a million and one reasons to argue that October is the best month of the year: The weather, the leaves changing, Halloween, etc. Well, here are seven more reasons why October is the best month of the year from a not-so-obvious standpoint.

1. “Hocus Pocus”

Nothing says October like “Hocus Pocus”! Whenever it comes on TV, we stop what we’re doing and watch it because it is just a crime against Halloween and the month of October itself not to.

2. Halloween editions of Disney Channel Original Movies

Now, don’t deny that you watch “Halloweentown” when it comes on at 7 p.m. every night before Halloween. Also, don’t deny you watch the other DCOM classics every other night of Halloween. Remember “Phantom of the Megaplex,” “Twitches Too,” “Under Wraps,” “Don’t Look Under The Bed,” and “The Scream Team”?

3. Sweater weather

Three months out of the year might as well be strictly for complaining about how we can’t wait for when we can wear boots, cute hats, drink hot chocolate and cuddle around a bonfire; otherwise known as sweater weather.

4. PSL’s

Pumpkin spice lattes. If you don’t know what a pumpkin spice latte is, I’m going to go ahead and assume that you are in constant hibernation from the world. A pumpkin spice latte is a wildly over-popular Starbucks coffee that is supposed to taste like pumpkins. They are basically every white girl’s medicine — what they need to function. How girls live without them 11 months out of the year is beyond me.

5. Ghost stories

I’m not going to lie — I still enjoy the thrill of ghost stories around Halloween time just as much as I did when I was 10. Who doesn’t like to be reminded of how young and naïve they used to be.

6. Pumpkin patches and haunted houses

Nothing in the world feels better than making a day of it with the BF or BFF at the pumpkin patch and the local haunted house. Picking out the perfect pumpkin, carving it into something really freaking awesome, putting on warm clothes to stand in line for two hours to be scared out of your mind for 10 minutes, just sounds like the most perfect October night.

7. Acceptable to quote “Mean Girls” more than usual

“Halloween is the one night a year a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.”

“On October 3rd, he asked me what day it is.” “It’s October 3rd.””

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.