mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay Healthy this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Summer is almost here! That means there are plenty of opportunities to soak up the sun, but there are also some health risks that come with hot weather and days on the beach. Here are some ways to make sure you stay healthy and happy this summer.

Stay active.

Is there anything better than being outside with your friends? Probably not, and while sitting on your lawn chair tanning for three months sounds great, don’t forget to stay active. Go for a walk during sunset and enjoy the beauty of nature, or take advantage of the thousands of Minnesota lakes and go swimming or rowing. Go for a jog on the beach, bike around the city, find a place to rock climb, anything that gets you moving and sweating.

Embrace berry season.

There’s no better time to enjoy a huge bowl of strawberries than the summertime. There are dozens of fruits and vegetables that are in season during the summer, such as cucumbers, zucchini, corn, peaches, melons and citrus fruits. Check out this article of Top 10 Farmers Markets in Minneapolis.

Take care of your skin.

We all know by now that sun exposure is bad for our skin. Sunburns, wrinkles, dark spots and cancer are all caused by those beautiful UV rays. Even though the smell is nauseating, you need to wear sunscreen, even on cloudy days. Wear a hat to protect your hair, ears and face especially if you know you’re going to be out in the middle of the day. Don’t forget about your lips! Having some sort of lip balm on helps protect and soothe all summer long. If you do forget to put on sunscreen, I highly recommend a cold shower then aloe vera, and trust me because I have a lot of experience with sunburns.

Drink plenty of water.

Always. Drink. Water. This is a health tip for the entire year, but staying hydrated is especially important in the warmer months. Water’s the best drink if you want to keep yourself hydrated, but another option 100% fruit juice with no sugar added, and it also provides some nutrients.

Watch your alcohol consumption.

It’s the season for music festivals, and with those fantastic headliners comes lots of partying, and lots of parties mean lots of booze. Alcohol is not a good way to hydrate yourself, and in the summertime all those excess calories can add up and make you feel sluggish. Don’t leave your Nalgene at home! Even music festivals have water bottle filling stations.

Wear sunglasses.

The sun is just as bad for your eyes as it is for your skin. Overexposure to both UVA and UVB rays can result in cataracts and blindness. This is a simple problem to solve, wear sunglasses! When looking for a pair try to find ones that block both types of UV rays for maximum benefits.

Change out of your wet clothes ASAP.

Yeast infections are super common and while they usually aren’t severe, it can be a major bummer to have to deal with that discomfort, especially in the summer. I don’t need to go into the ugly details, just know that it’s important to change out of your wet bathing suit and sweaty workout clothes as soon as possible. Your body will thank you.

Don’t skip the bug spray.

The lakes of Minnesota are gorgeous, but also serve as a breeding ground for bugs and all the little diseases they carry. Mosquito bites are annoying, but there are lots of other bugs that can do more damage than a tiny, itchy bump. If you know that you’re going to be outside a lot don’t forget to use bug spray. Is it gross? Yes, but companies have gained a lot more knowledge on chemicals and natural repellants so there are plenty of non-toxic varieties. For more information on natural bug repellants and other resources visit this website. Pro tip: putting dryer sheets in your backpack and pockets can also help keep the pests away, while also emitting a nice clean fragrance.

Relax.

A lot of us try to cram jobs, internships, classes, volunteering, vacations and time with family all into three months. We forget that summer should be a time to relax and have some fun. Don’t feel like you need to have every minute of your day occupied. Sometimes doing nothing is the exact kind of mental health break that’s needed. For some ideas on how to spend your summer, check out our article on summer hobbies!

Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace. 
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.