Quick and Easy Crafts to Liven your Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

It’s a brand new semester, and a brand new year!  2013 will be filled with new classes, new friends, and new issues. So you come back into your dorm room ready to start off the new semester. And all you think of when you walk into your room? BO-RING! YAWN! DRAB! It might be time to re-decorate. You may want something that brightens your day, something that makes your room have a relaxing vibe to it, or something that makes your friends ogle over your creative decorations with jealousy.

It’s your lucky day! I’m going to share all the creative room decorating ideas that I found online (Pinterest…easy guess, right?). They are all simple and inexpensive to make. All the materials you will need can easily be bought at the dollar store or found around your house. Or you might have to drop a couple extra bucks at Michael’s if you want that extra flair! I’ve incorporated these ideas into my room at home and some of them will be popping up in my dorm in the future. Maybe you might want to try these ideas too!

Wine Glass Stands

These decorations are the easiest thing I have ever made—and I’m a crafter. No gluing, no sewing, no taping! Here’s what you need:

·         Wine glasses

·         Fake flowers

·         Candles

·         Scissors

Cut off a flower of your choosing from the stem. Place the flower on a surface. Then, turn the wine glass upside down so the lip of the glass on the surface and the flower is inside the glass. Next, place a small candle on the top of the glass. If you want this decoration in your dorm, don’t use the candles (Because we’re not supposed to have them)! Easy, right?

Want that extra flair? Paint on the glitter! Take some glitter glue and cover the base and the stem of the glass with a coat of the glue and let it dry.

Book Ends

Need to find a way to keep your textbooks from falling over on your desk? Make a bookend! You will need:

·         A brick lying around your backyard

·         Scrapbooking paper

·         Spray adhesive glue

·         Scissors

·         Pencil

Clean the brick off from any dirt and gunk and let dry. Trace the outline of the brick on the blank side of the scrapbooking paper and cut. Once all paper is cut to cover the surface of the brick, spray adhesive glue onto the brick. Place the paper on top and let dry. Now you’ve got a relatively cheap one-of-a-kind bookend that will definitely be able to hold the weight of those heavy textbooks!

Hanging Wall Decals

Do you have old CD’s lying around the house that aren’t being used anymore? Turn them into something you can decorate with! Materials you will need are:

·         CD’s

·         Scrapbooking paper

·         Spray adhesive glue

·         Scissors

·         Pencil

·         Clear fishing twine

Trace the outline and inside circle of a CD on the blank side of scrapbooking paper and cut. Spray the CD with adhesive glue and place the scrapbooking paper on top. Let dry. After you make multiple CD’s tie them together with the clear twine, leaving about 3 inches of space between each CD. Now they’re ready to hang on your wall!

These ideas will easily transform your jail cell-like room into a relaxing haven all your own. And don’t forget, you can always decorate your room according to your own tastes. So with that said, feel free to take these ideas and make them your own! Crafting has endless possibilities.