MU Survival Guide: Valentine’s Day Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

“Please, you might as well be dog-earing a tear stained bridal magazine while wolfing down the box of chocolates you had delivered to yourself at work from your fiancé that no one has ever met.”  These are the horrendous, yet hilarious words of the one and only Barney Stinson from the hit show How I Met Your Mother. I mean there are people, obviously mostly women, who have been there, and Valentine’s Day might be a tough time. But there are also those people who really don’t care about the holiday of love one bit, or those who just can’t get enough. But before you bury your head in the covers and attempt to ignore the millions of pink and red hearts, take some time to read our humble suggestions. Whether you are single, coupled up or just looking for some last minute gifts, this fellow Valentine’s survivor is here to offer some pointers. So that is where we come in, to be your guide in surviving Valentine’s Day… someone has to. 

[pagebreak]
For the coupled-up love birds…
Valentine’s Day is all about you, so soak up the satisfaction of spending an entire day with the one you love. Just be sure to pick an activity that you both enjoy and to bring in the element of surprise. Millersville is filled with scenic views and walking paths to enjoy. Don’t be too hasty to ignore a romantic night of cooking dinner together in your apartment. There are also several local parks (Charlestown Park, Long’s Park or Binn’s Park) where you can take you date for a picnic. You can also head into Lancaster City to take in an art show at one of the galleries on Prince Street.

The Classic V-Day Date

This date is the one that is easy, yet keeps the romance alive. Going out to dinner to the place you went on your first date, a more expensive place you always talk about going to but never do, or maybe it has some sort of memory that only you two share. Whatever the reason it will be a nice evening together to catch up and spend time together in a new or familiar place.

Gift Idea for Him: Love Coupon Book
So ladies, I feel as though the guys do not get enough attention on this holiday, instead all the pressure is on them. That’s just me but I think the ladies are the ones that expect the chocolates and roses. Now I know guys don’t really want roses or lovey-dovey stuff, but they do need some sort of lovin’. I thought something thoughtful would be a love coupon book. Ladies, you can make up a book of all the things your guy likes to do that he can use the entire year until the next Valentine’s day. For instance “Sports Day: Tailgate and get cheap tickets for a Phillies game,” “TV/Movie Day: Stay in all day, watch movies or TV show marathon (and cuddle of course).” The possibilities are endless, just think what you’re guy likes and of course things you like to do together.

Gift Idea for Her: Love Scavenger Hunt
Now men, as much as we love flowers and that box of chocolates, we ladies love it when you’re creative. This will be fun for guys, you’ll get to make a map and work out clues, and hey you can even be the X that marks the spot she has to find (wrapped in a red bow or something.) So think of both of your favorite places and work out a map, leave a little present at each checkpoint, and at the end of the hunt meet your lovely lady at the end. For that extra little something else, make the endpoint be her favorite restaurant.

Last Minute Gift Ideas
As a wise science fiction author once wrote, Don’t Panic! Holidays creep up on college students in-between the stress of tests, internships, and hectic schedules. So if you find yourself reading this and coming to the realization that Valentine’s Day is a few days away…never fear, Her Campus is here! Here are a few places around Millersville to grab some last minute gifts for your hunny.

• John Herr’s, never underestimate the power of flowers.
  • Convenience markets (Turkey Hill Mini Marts or Millersville Mart) were designed to have little stuffed animals and cute, if not cheesy, Valentine’s Day trinkets.
  • Make your own Valentine’s Day card (Newsflash! It’s still cute to do this after elementary school).
  • The Anchor has a display case filled with Millersville University Valentine’s Day gifts.
  • Keep an eye out for campus organizations selling flowers in the Student Memorial Center.
  • Surprise your date by bringing her a coffee/flowers when her class lets out  (Starbucks Love Potion #9 is our recommendation).
  • Dorm dinners! Although it sounds impossible, the Anchor has all the items you need to make a simple dinner in your dorm for your date. Your creativity will impress your date, just be sure to kick your roommate out first.

[pagebreak]
For those of you flying solo…
Why spend Valentine’s Day getting your hate on when you can show yourself some love? Go out and spend Tuesday doing all the things you love, grab your favorite coffee, pick up that long overdue leisure read that has been gathering dust on your shelf and enjoy! If you are dreading alone time, surprise friends by asking them to be your valentine and spend time hanging out. Another way to enjoy yourself this Tuesday is to visit the Millersville University Organizational Outbreak from 11am-2pm outside the SMC. It is a great way to find all of the interesting programs that are offered on campus from dance teams to becoming a Her Campus writer, Millersville has it all.

Single: Then Get Out and Mingle!

Now I understand when you’re single it seem like you have to find a guy or a girl, otherwise you’re a failure on Valentine’s Day. However this is not true, and hey, sometimes it’s hard to find someone, but don’t get down and think it’ll never happen, get out there and do something about it. Mingle people! Head downtown to Annie’s for the sweet tea vodka specials or the Brickyard for some $2 Miller High Life‘s by yourself looking super fresh and fabulous. You can even call your best friend and have them be your wing woman or wing man, or get a whole group. Just know you’re not the only single person out there, who knows there might be someone single at the bar Valentine’s Day to mingle with.

I Hate Valentine’s Day Party<3
If you haven’t seen the movie Valentine’s Day, there’s a scene where Jessica Biel’s neurotic single character holds a “I Hate Valentine’s Day” party with all her best friends. They get dressed up, they eat candy, and drink a lot all the while bashing the day of love. I honestly think this would be a hilarious time. It doesn’t have to just be for ladies either, invite guys who hate the day too. Everyone has an ex they can’t stand, everyone has had a bad relationship, and hey, everyone has probably had a really bad Valentine’s Day. So plan a “I Hate Valentine’s Day” party. I mean, it beats wallowing and being bitter alone, we find safety in numbers after all.

For those of you who feel like getting your hate on, the following are tips for throwing an unforgettable Anti-Valentine’s Day Party:
  1. Invite your single, fun friends over for the occasion
  2. Enjoy some bitter-Sweet Lemon Drop shots
  3. Be sure to watch all of the great female empowerment movies (Legally Blonde and Miss Congeniality)
  4. Grab a bunch of heart shaped objects that can be creatively destroyed by your guests
  5. Be sure to have fun foods for your guests that will keep them laughing (Sour Patch Kids or ironic cupcakes)

Remember to keep your anti-party as humorous as possible and everyone will love it!

I Love You, BFF
When you’re not upset about being alone and have come to realize Valentine’s Day is just another day, why not share it with the best friends you love. Get your best friends together for a night out. Get dressed in a new outfit, go see a new chick-flick (my choices would be “The Vow” and “This Means War”) and then go to Carlos & Charlie’s for tacos at the bar. If you’re with your friends on Valentine’s Day you’re with the ones you love and can talk to about anything, so I’d say you truly survived the day.

No matter what your relationship status or panic level is Valentine’s Day is a time to have fun and escape from the daily stresses of college life. Take this Tuesday to give and receive a little love and be sure to keep reading Her Campus for more survival tips for college life! Caffeine fiends will love our next edition of the guide, be prepared for the coffee tour of your life

Amber Strazzo

Millersville

Amber Strazzo was born in Queens, NY, but raised in Lancaster, PA. She is currently a Senior at Millersville University, studying Public Relations and Journalism. Amber is the Vice President of Programs of the Xi Tau chapter of Delta Zeta, and is very active in Greek life on her campus. She's a self-proclaimed social media junkie, and loves shopping, her Nook and catching up episodes of Pretty Little Liars. After college, Amber plans to head south for grad school for student affairs.