5 Resources For Sexual Assault Victims

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

This week’s theme may be a tough one for some of our readers. Unfortunately, sexual assault is a prevalent problem in our world today and needs addressing. According to the website Where Is Your Line, 23% of men and 44% of women will experience a form of sexual assault in their lifetime, while 2% of men and 19% of women will experience rape. For those who have experienced sexual assault, I can not stress enough that you are not alone. Here is a list of resources to use or send to someone who needs to reach out and get help.

The National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline

1-800-656-HOPE (4673)

Calling this number will connect you to a member of a sexual assault service provider in your area. This is free, safe, and confidential. The person you talk to can help you talk through what happened and figure out where to go from there. The hotline uses the first six digits of your phone number to see where you are calling from so that they can inform you of the laws on sexual assault in your community, local resources, and longer term support in your area.

The National Sexual Assault Online Hotline

If you are unable to speak on the phone for any number of reasons, the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) has an online hotline where you are able to chat online with a carefully trained specialists. Whatever you type remains confidential. This hotline provides help talking through what happened, resources for the next step, and information about laws.

Center for Changing Our Campus Culture

This organization provides research, protocols, practices, and information on sexual assault on college campuses. There is also a button at the top of the page that says “Get Help”. This leads to a page full of resources, including hotlines, health center locators, and additional resources.

Safe Horizon

This website states signs of abuse, clearing defining what sexual assault and consent looks like. There are survivor stories, programs, and additional resources as well. Safe Horizon’s programs include hotlines to call for support, a counseling center that you can easily make an appointment for, community programs, and criminal court programs to help sexual assault victims that are pursuing justice through court. Safe Horizon also has a rape and sexual assault hotline available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. That number is 212-227-3000.

Anti-Violence Project (AVP)

AVP has resources for the LGBTQ+ and HIV-affected communities affected by any form of violence. You can report violence through an online form and a counselor will be in contact with you within 48 hours. AVP also has a 24 hour English and Spanish hotline where calls remain confidential. Callers receive crisis counseling and access to many resources available. This number is 212-714-1141. This organization also offers counseling, support groups, and legal services.

Whether you or someone you know needs these resources, please don’t hesitate to reach out. You are not alone and will never be alone. And for those readers who feel moved to raise awareness for sexual assault, many of these organizations are looking for donations and volunteers.

Hannah Newman

Millersville '20

Hannah Newman is a senior at Millersville University, studying Early Childhood Education with an integrative STEM methods minor. She has been writing for Her Campus for over two years, and is loving being the president of such an awesome chapter.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3