New CoverGirl in Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Every time you go through Instagram, there seems to be a new makeup star trending, and today was no different. A 17 year-old high school senior has been the reason for recent buzz across the beauty industry for an iconic reason. James Charles is set to be the first ever male CoverGirl model. (Sure, there are famous makeup artists who are boys, and who have created their own makeup, but for a boy to be the face of a makeup line, especially CoverGirl, is the first of its kind).

James’ passion for makeup and beauty has helped him gain a major fan following of over 600,000 people on Instagram. His highlight and eyebrows are always on fleek and people can’t get enough of his perfect jawline, thus making him the perfect person to be the new ambassador for a company like CoverGirl. The news first came out when Katy Perry posted a picture on Instagram announcing James as the new male spokesperson and how she was honoured to have worked with him. This was followed by a post by James himself and a tweet by CoverGirl ; ‘Meet @JCharlesBeauty: makeup artist, boundary breaker, and the newest COVERGIRL! #COVERGIRLJames.’

James started his journey to become a makeup artist just a year ago and his progress thus far is phenomenal and clearly shows why he deserves to be the face of such a major brand. If you go through his Instagram (which you definitely should, this boy has some serious skills), you will see that he believes in makeup as a form of creative expression and many of his looks are very artistic and just plain beautiful. He has broken barriers for men in the makeup industry, as he feels that makeup is a form of art and it doesn’t have to be gender exclusive in today’s world. Men and women can both appreciate the artistry that exists in the beauty industry and both of their talents can be appreciated. CoverGirl branding him a boundary breaker is on point, as he really has broken social norms by taking on this role. No one could have ever imagined that there would be a male CoverGirl, now that’s a reality and soon it might just be a norm. You might even remember James from a picture that went viral recently. In the picture, he’s posing for his senior picture with a highlight as bright as his future.

There have been many other male makeup artists and beauty influencers like Manny Mua, Patrick Starr and the famous Jeffree Star. All of these social media stars have shown that you don’t need to be female to appreciate and be kickass at makeup. Your highlight can be poppin’ and you can have the perfect pout even as a guy. James has opened doors for future men interested in this world and he has shown them that once they get started, no one can stop their growth.

In today’s day and age, it comes as no surprise that James being the new face of covergirl earned him a few negative reactions. People voiced their views on Twitter on how they would boycott CoverGirl now and HOW they can’t believe that a boy is an ambassador for a makeup brand. Well, there’s only one thing left to say to them, ‘haters gonna hate.’  People need to stop putting people down for pursuing the things they love. If it makes them happy, who are they to judge. Thankfully, the beauty community as a whole has been very supportive of CoverGirl’s decision and feel that this has been a long time coming.

Information and Images obtained from:

http://www.fuse.tv/2016/10/james-charles-covergirl-first-coverboy

http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/news/a39931/covergirl-first-…

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/covergirl-james-charles-…