Meet Gijs Leenders: Honors International Development Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

By: Reba Wilson

Meet European student Gijs Leenders, taking Honors International Development Studies with a Minor in Management. Her Campus McGill sat down with Leenders and learned the following:

(Editors’ Note: bolded text is HC, regular text is Leenders)

Year: U3

Relationship Status: Taken ;)

What is your favorite thing about McGill? I love that McGill is diverse enough to give me the opportunity to grow in all the way that I have in the last few years. That, and Gerts!

What are your summer plans? I have a consulting internship at KPMG, I will be European Commissioner of Development at the G8 Youth Summit in London, I am going to travel through Europe in July, and I will chill back in MTL for August.

What is your go-to place in Montreal? Marché 27 is probably the best place I know for improptu dinner. Otherwise, Furco for drinks.

Tell us your most embarrassing moment at McGill. This is taking some effort, but it most likely involves first year, Jägermeister and a football game I had to leave a little early.

What is the best advice you’ve ever received and who gave it to you? “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat” – Teddy Roosevelt

If you had to be on one reality TV show, what would it be? What role would you play? Here Comes Honey Boo Boo… And that’s where my knowledge of reality TV ends. Could I be the newly acquired and absolutely terrified piglet?

Reba has always had a passion for writing, as well as editing, and has worked for and contributed to magazines and newspapers including Luxury Report, Urecommend, Vallum: Contemporary Poetry and The Ottawa Citizen. An ardent traveler and lover of haute cuisine and fashion, Reba is studying English Literature at McGill University. Follow her on Twitter @Reba_Wilson.