Fresh, Fun, and Fast: Get to Know Organic Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Introducing the fresh, local, food source you need to know about!

Organic Campus is a SSMU service run by student volunteers. Working with a farmer located on the Quebec-Ontario border, they strive to provide fresh and affordable local produce to the student body here at McGill. Organic Campus, or  “OC” as it is affectionately called, is the place on campus to get local and organic produce and breads.

Located right across from Liquid Nutrition – which also boasts a 100% organic menu – OC is in the “Green Corner” on the first floor of SSMU. Every Tuesday the club gets a new order of fresh veggies as well as a variety of baked breads and snacks. From Tuesday to Thursday OC’s friendly volunteers open up shop from 12 to 5pm and are happy to answer your questions, tell you about where their food is from, and most importantly, share free samples for those in need of a quick snack!

Though not widely known on campus, OC should be: they serve up great eats cheap. We’re talking sweet potato cinnamon buns, ijera wraps stuffed with lentils, peppers, and potato, and samosas filled with lentils and vegetables and lightly spiced all going for $2 each. It’s an easy, healthy, and tasty alternative on those days when you forget – or are too lazy – to pack your own lunch. Want another incentive to go check out OC? It has plenty of gluten-free and vegan options offered every week! The farmer even supplies OC with free-range eggs.

I discovered Organic Campus only this year, and so first year me seriously missed out! Now, my personal favourite OC staples is the apple bread, ambasha, and the cinnamon buns (I can’t say no to a vegan cinnamon bun). In the summer and fall the club also has crisp, juicy apples and a great selection of greens and squash. Don’t go by just my recommendations alone; go visit OC for yourself! Meet new people and treat yourself to something delicious, because if not now, when?

Images provided by author.

Hey! I'm a writer for Her Campus McGill! I started writing in September, 2014. This is my second year living in Montreal and going to McGill! I'm a U2 Arts student working towards a degree in History and a minor in Education. I've lived in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom and I speak English and conversational French. I love good beer, Indian food, and black coffee. I cook, run, and practice yoga. I'm currently obsessed with Hozier and all indie-folk-alternative music in general!