Coffee Break With Singer and Song Writer Aida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Meet Aida, the talented Montreal based singer from Paris with a unique style. Her first EP, My Retrospective, features the songs Tu Me Rends Fou, Closer and many others, which I had the pleasure to discuss with her. After a lengthy catching up chat around some Starbucks coffees, I was able to learn more about Aida the singer and songwriter. Read On!

Kapinga Kalombo for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Can you tell us who Aida is?

Aida: I am originally from Paris and I moved to Canada 6 years ago. I always wanted to go to the USA because I used to be a big fan of R&B and soul music, and I wanted to explore the country that these styles originated from. However, since it is more difficult to get in the USA, when my mother had the opportunity to come to Canada, I followed her to eventually make my way to the states.

HC McGill: When did you discover your passion for music?

Aida: I would say around the age of 6 or 8. I remember when there was a talent show at my elementary school, I would always want to perform, and I enjoyed seeing people sing and dance along with me. Also, you would always see me singing, whether it is in the shower or when I walk down the street.  

HC McGill: What artist had the most influence of your music?

Aida: Mariah Carey for her ability to hit the really high notes, Madonna for her live performances and her groove. She was also very revolutionary, with her different messages and her fashion sense. Janet Jackson for her dance moves, Erika Badu is also one of my idols. And when it comes to soul music, I admire John Legend; he has an amazing voice as well.

HC McGill: How would you describe your style?

Aida: When I first started, my style was closer to mainstream R&B, which was what was popular at the time. Just think of Beyoncé and Destiny’s Child. However, when I moved here my producers made me realize that Funk suits me much more so I begin to experiment with all these different music genres to come up with my own style. Basically I mix Funk, R&B, Electronics… a bit of everything.

HC McGill: Let’s talk about you most recent music video Tu me rends. The video is so much fun to watch and the visuals are amazing. Could you tell us what it was like to shoot it?

Aida: The idea was to have a girls only party but also to create the girl power image as well. And yes, it was super fun to shoot! The location we used was the apartment of a photographer that I know, and I knew it would be the perfect place. It went with my idea I had for the clip, which was a retro and colorful party. It took only 8 hours and I really enjoyed the experience. The girls were amazing and the dancers really gave the video the perfect touch I was looking for.

HC McGill: As a song writer, where do you get your inspiration and what is the process?

Aida: Sometimes there is nothing for months, but then it comes in super random places; for example, in the metro when I am looking at people, it inspires me a lot. But most of it comes from personal experiences. I’m an emotionally impulsive person so I always try to pour these emotions into my music, which can be hard. There are times when it comes naturally, and other times when it is more challenging

HC McGill: I must say that I personally love the lyrics and the beat of the song Closer. Could you tell us more about it?

Aida: Closer is about something that happened to me and my mother a year ago. This guy she met was mentally unstable and he ended up being a danger to her and to me as well. I wrote the song because I could tell that my mom knew that something was not right, but she didn’t know how to get out of the situation. So when I said “it might be closer than you think,” I simply mean that all the answers you’re looking for are right here, you just have to follow your guts. The song was for me as well. I get frustrated because I am trying to break into the music industry, but I sometimes feel like I am a ghost, and I really want to be known; however, with time I realized that I needed to be patient, the answers will come eventually. All I have to do is to work hard.

HC McGill: What is the highlight of your career so far?

Aida: To have met my producers and to have been able find my signature. The fact that now I could put a song out and that some people might recognize me is what artists struggle with the most, which is why I am happy to have finally gotten there.

HC McGill: What is the most challenging aspect of being an independent artist?

Aida: I am not going to lie…the money (laughs). The money to fund the music videos, for publicity, for the managers, those are the things independent artists struggle with the most. But networking and consistently putting new music out is a great way to overcome these challenges, which is what I am working on right now.

HC McGill: According to you, what makes you an outstanding artist?

Aida: (Laughs) I would say me. I have an interesting style and I can interest females who are into fashion. But also my vocal abilities, they are not perfect but I always work hard to improve them and to be the best that I can be. I also have to add that I write 90% of my songs, and I do get help since I am not a native English speaker, but I definitely think that writing my own songs is another one of my strengths.

HC McGill: Which song are you the most proud of?

Aida: Can’t Get Away. I love the beat and the Rock and Roll touch of it. I am actually working on the video so I am really excited about it.  

HC McGill: What would be your dream collaborations?

Aida: Nicki Minaj (yes, it is surprising but she has an amazing flow), Draft Punk, Stevie Wonder, Disclosure and Justin Timberlake

HC McGill: Are you planning to just stick to or you are interested in other things too?

Aida: I have always wanted to start my own record label, and to find and help new artists. Something totally not related to music would be to help develop my dad’s country, Congo. He always had these crazy ideas about developing this country and I would love to help this dream come true.

HC McGill: Any upcoming projects you wouldn’t mind sharing with us?

Aida: I am currently working on my second EP and it is almost ready. Plus, in May I will have a showcase in Montreal with other artists, but the details are not out yet. I also have two upcoming shows in New York which is really exciting for me!

Make sure to follow Aida on Soundcloud and Facebook to get updates on her music and upcoming shows.