you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Careernista: The Woman’s Guide to Success After College, A Book Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Careeranista: The Woman’s Guide to Success After College, by Chaz Pitts-Kyser, offers recent female college graduates advice for building their careers.

This 32 chapter guide is an easy read because Pitts-Kyser’s writing style is very straight to the point, allowing her readers to understand her message clearly.  As clearly indicated by the title of the book, she directs the subject matter to female college students who will inevitably go through a process of transition after college, as they follow their dreams for their respective professions.

When asked about her inspiration, Pitts- Kyser remarked, “I wrote the book because as a college graduate and former college journalism instructor, I saw firsthand how while college may give new grads the book smarts to start their careers, it doesn’t necessarily give them the professional smarts that are also so crucial.” After graduating from college she searched for a book like the one she wrote, but didn’t find one she deemed extremely helpful. So, she wrote her own guide jam-packed with stories of insight and helpful advice. She intends for her tone to be “sisterly,” and her ultimate goal is to “empower women to craft careers and a life they will love.” 

As a junior in my studies at Marymount University, I found Careeranista to be very informative and enlightening. Very relevant topics are included and explained, such as how to ace an interview, handling conflicts with co-workers, and stabilizing your finances. Like other young women who are at the same stage of their college education, I want to know more about the opportunities and obstacles that I’m probably going to encounter as I pursue my career.

One of my takeaways from this book is that success in the work world doesn’t happen overnight. In fact, it oftentimes takes more time than we would like. For example, do you want to be a partner in a law firm by the age of thirty?  Okay, Elle Woods. Pitts-Kyser points out that partner tracks for young lawyers is taking longer and longer.  

On the other hand, Pitts-Kyser emphasizes the consideration of graduate school, law school, or medical school.  While these post-college experiences can add 2-5 years to one’s academic life – and all of the related expenses – the amount of education one receives is often very helpful for door-openings in the work-world.

Careeranista stresses the fact that many recent college graduates have tough competition in the job market. Pitts-Kyser said, “Many recent graduates not only have problems finding jobs in their major, but finding jobs period.” For most, this is a frustrating reality.  Obtaining more education is one way to create some advantages over that competition, especially if you intend to pursue a field of study you are passionate about.

Another takeaway from this book is focus.  Focus precedes success.  Many recent college graduates struggle because they have not focused on what they want to do professionally.  Learning as much as you can in your chosen field of endeavor while you are in college is an obvious aid to professional success after college. Yet, the reality is that a lot of college students – females included – are not prepared for post-college life.

So, what should we do in this big bad world?

Dream big, but be realistic. Your career goals need to be within actual reach.

Yes, obstacles exist – sex discrimination against women is still a problem – but opportunities exist as well.  Pitts-Kyser recommends being strategic about the pursuit of those opportunities and offers a lot of helpful advice.

Another facet of Careeranista that I found very enjoyable is that Pitts-Kyser addresses the work-life balance that is important for men and women, but particularly women, who have to consider family and child-rearing issues more than men. For instance, when you consider your long-term desire to have a family of your own, this is crucial to think about in relation to your career. Social life supports balance, as well. Everyone has to handle this in some way for themselves.  

In conclusion, I recommend this book for all young women.  The advice offered is practical, useful, and easy-to-understand. Pitts-Kyser even uses a humorous twist all-throughout, as she offers real-life lessons. This is pleasing to most readers, especially us, as college students. You read textbooks all of the time, so why not read a book like Careeranista to brighten your day? In a world economy that will only increase in its integration and competitiveness, the advice is also timely.

Go check it out for yourself! Invest in your future!

http://www.amazon.com/Careeranista-Womans-Guide-Success-College/dp/0978818822

Twitter: @julitacardenas