The Source of the Music on the Mall: Brian Sengelaub

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Walking past McKeldin Library, you probably see the same pastimes every day. Some students are nestled in hammocks for the afternoon, some choose to sunbathe with friends, while others opt for a quick Frisbee game in between classes. But recently, a more peculiar downtime activity has captured students’ attention.  

Brian Sengelaub, or as the public refers to him, “that guy playing the flute at McKeldin,” is actually a college graduate from the University of Delaware, where he majored in East Asian Studies. But, while waiting for an occupational background check to go through, he decided to take a Chinese studies course offered at UMD.

After class, Sengelaub walks to McKeldin, where he plays a Romanian-style pan flute he has been teaching himself how to play for the last two years. Although many are unfamiliar with the instrument, it is extremely popular all over the globe. “It’s really found all over the world from China, Africa, [and] Europe. It’s popular in South American music and eastern European,” Sengelaub said.

According to Sengelaub, many people believe the first pan flute was probably made in either China or Africa, and its origins are different than most instruments. “Every culture has got their own version,” he said. “But it’s not like the guitar or other instruments where it’s spread from one culture to another. It was independently made by every culture.”

The pan flute is not only intercontinental; Sengelaub says it is also the most ancient of instruments. “This is probably the oldest wood wind instrument known to man,” he said. “It’s like blowing across a bottle. You know how [when] you blow across a bottle, it makes sound? Humans…thousands and thousands of years ago found out that if they blew across a reef, then it makes a noise. And then, eventually some smart apple realized that if you strap smaller tubes to a larger tube you can make a whole range of them.”

Because the instrument is less common than say, your average acoustic guitar, some people ask Sengelaub why he plays the pan flute out and about. He said, “I usually go ‘Well, why not?’ I mean, it’s no different than someone playing the guitar out here.” In addition to the mandolin, Sengelaub does play the guitar as well.

While he receives a lot of quizzical stares, most people happily encourage him to continue. “Usually, people are actually coming to compliment me on how beautiful they think it is,” Sengelaub said.

As for his own reaction to the music, Sengelaub finds solace in his pan flute. “[I feel] very peaceful. It’s almost like a meditation to me,” he said. “Honestly, sometimes it’s the only time I actually feel at peace.”

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.