Hip Hop Orchestra has the Beats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Deep house beats, keys, drums, string instruments, vocalists- that’s what you’ll hear when you watch University of Maryland’s Hip Hop Orchestra perform. But there is more beneath the exterior of the music. This group is redefining genre and what hip-hop music means.

Senior sociology major and president of the group, Marcus Moody had his epiphany two years ago when talking with a friend, and he decided to combine his love for orchestral music with hip-hop beats. The group made its debut in March 2013 and today has 16 dedicated members.

“Hip hop is a much bigger power than people understand. It represents a culture, represents a people.” Moody said.

Moody believes there is immense power in music, that college students have power to redefine stereotypes in society, through it. As the president of the Hip Hop

Orchestra, he feels an obligation to the cause.

“I have a responsibility to take it away from the cliché of hip hop and make it artistic, creative, unique and make it something new.” Moody said, “The culture has become a commodity- that’s what I want to fight against.”

He refers to the genre of Hip Hop orchestra as a “superpower music genre” because it combines the “power of the non-verbal orchestral music with the lyricism of hip-hop.”

Moody is a key composer for the group, but he says everyone contributes to the songs and interprets the music in their own way. He composes and prints the sheet music for the musicians in the group, but everyone has additions they make and the environment is open to the input of the group members. It is part of what makes this creative process unique. Half of our repotorie is original music, Kanye West, J Dilla, Hans Zimmer, A Tribe Called Quest, Kid Cudi, Manchester Orchestra and Coldplay,” Moody said.

But while there is freedom to interpret, knowing the reason you are playing a song is equally important. Knowing the message the composer wants to convey plays a huge role in the process, Moody says.

“I try to tell different stories in each song. At every rehearsal when I introduce a song, I give them context and some of its very personal. People playing your music need to also understand how it needs to be played,” Moody said.

He says the different elements of the songs evolve. Often he will end up with multiples scores of music, all different versions of the same song. So much change happens daily with each song Moody said.

“It’s a really powerful art form, being able to interpret stories in music without having to say a word,” Moody said.

The Hip Hop Orchestra gathers on Sundays at the University Radio Station to practice. Moody says it is not always easy working to organize college students with busy schedules- but the group manages to make it all work.

Hip Hop Orchestra continues to grow and thrive and Moody says he has some budding plans for the group. Some of the plans involved recording and collaborating with other groups on campus.

They have already performed with several other music groups on campus and plan to keep the trend going. Auditions were held September 20th for new members. It seems that this new group will keep blossoming and making change through music.

For more information about Hip Hop Orchestra, check out their facebook page!

Junior broadcast journalism major and singer/songwriter at UMD. I like yoga and beautiful days.
Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.