Hannah Shaw: Finding the Connection Between Fashion and Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Name: Hannah Shaw

Year: Sophomore
Major: Business
Hometown: Havertown, PA

From a young age I always liked working with my hands and playing around with patterns and colors.  I had a recent interest in fashion because of my cousin’s influence.  She owns a clothing store in Taiwan.  After traveling in Taiwain and interning for her she taught me the processes of picking out clothing, packing and then shipping the clothes off to customers.  With her help, I started bringing back clothing from her line to hopefully sell here in the U.S.

I  learned to appreciate fashion while traveling and understand it as a way people represent themselves as opposed to in the U.S. where it is not as an important aspect of their lives. The norm here is to wear ordinary t-shirts and shorts.  My cousins and girls in Taiwan are very fashion conscious and dress to impress; they began to influence me.  It became fun to get ready and I find more enjoyment in it.

In the future I hope to start an online store selling Taiwanese style clothing.  The main challenges would be sizes for the apparel and shipping. In the meantime, I love to draw and put together outfits on my own.  I like to draw pictures of things I see or pictures I find online.  Its fun and relaxing, something to take my mind off of school when I am stressed.

_____

These are a few of Hannah’s recent drawings.  Both were sketched with felt tip markers and then color was added.