This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s hard to resist all of those sugary or greasy comfort foods we all know and love, and in college, it can sometimes seem downright impossible. It may be hard, but it certainly isn’t impossible. There are plenty of healthier alternatives to your favorite treats or meals that you crave more often than not. I’ve accumulated a list of foods you can substitute for the foods you end up feeling guilty about later.

Eat This: Special K Strawberry Pastry Crisps
Not That: Strawberry Pop Tarts

You may think of Pop Tarts as a quick and easy breakfast item or snack, but did you ever think of how terrible they are for you? Strawberry Pop Tarts have about 410 calories per package! Substitute your craving with a small pack of Special K Pastry Crisps for only 100 calories — I promise, they taste just as good! Pair this up with a fruit cup or banana and you’e got yourself a healthier and tasty breakfast.

Eat This: Jimmy John’s Unwich
Not That: Jimmy Johns Giant Club Sandwich

I will admit, I am a huge fan of Jimmy John’s (the beach club is my weakness). But if you’re trying to stick to a healthier diet, avoid all of that bread! The Jimmy John’s Unwich is still the same sandwich, without the bread. Instead, your meats, veggies and cheeses are wrapped in a hearty bed of lettuce — so fresh! I know, bread is delicious. But by getting rid of it you’re avoiding around 140 calories. If you feel the need to add some crunch or substance to your meal, throw some jumbo pickles into your meal.

Eat This: Starbucks Tall Soy Tazo Chai Tea Latte
Not That: Starbucks Grande Caramel Apple Spice without Whip

Sometimes we don’t realize how much damage our drinks can be causing, especially when staying awake is consuming our mind more than staying healthy. Well, now you can stay awake and be healthier at the same time! Instead of the 310 calorie Grande Caramel Apple Spice without Whip, try just 180 calories of a Tall Soy Tazo Chai Tea Latte. It’s hard to steer away from your beloved Starbucks drink, but you may just fall in love with a healthier option if you try some new drinks.

Eat This: Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl
Not That: Chipotle Chicken Burrito

How would you like to save yourself 555 calories? Believe it or not, a Chicken Burrito with black beans, rice, green tomatillo, salsa, cheese and sour cream adds up to 1,025 calories. By ordering just about the same thing in a burrito bowl (minus the cheese), you’re only consuming 470 calories. Even if you do add the cheese it’s still way better than the burrito. Next time you’re at Chipotle, think about if the flour tortilla is worth it.

Eat This: Vanilla Almond Milk
Not That: 2% Milk

Vanilla Almond milk is absolutely delicious to drink on its own or to have in your cereal. It contains just 90 calories per cup and has no saturated fat! In addition to this, it is lactose-free, which means it’s perfect for those dairy-lovers who can’t enjoy a fresh glass of milk because they are lactose intolerant. One cup of 2 percent milk has about 130 calories and contains about 3 grams of saturated fat. It’s a small substitution that many people may not think about, but if milk is something that you have quite often, switching to Almond Milk may be something useful to you.

Photo Credits:
Article Representation: Anarchistreverend
Special K Strawberry Pastry Crisps
Jimmy John’s Unwich
Tazo Tea Chai
Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl
Vanilla Almond Milk