The College Girl’s Book of Style Staples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Whether they’re trekking across campus, hopping on the metro or getting comfortable at McKeldin, University of Maryland women are always on the go. Yet, they still always manage to squeeze in 15-minute coffee breaks at Starbucks between internships, academics and drama. They are unstoppable.

Some may find themselves running into predicaments—and , surprisingly, not time management predicaments. Many women feel the need to buy new clothes for each of their commitments. But is it necessary? This answer is no. Instead of purchasing new wardrobes, women should buy staple pieces that are both fashionable and versatile for every aspect of their college lives.

Changing the World

(Photo credit: Ann Taylor)

Finding a business casual outfit should be less challenging than the business itself. Whether it is for a job interview or an internship, having an appropriate dress in your closet is a must. This shadow floral sheath dress is perfect for all seasons and looks great with tights.

Going with the Flow

Are those pressing paper deadlines and exhausting exams getting in the way of…everything? Then it is time to take a day off and relax. And what better way to relax than to hit the streets of Annapolis in a loose blouse and hip-hugging, flared jeans? This ensemble screams perfection.

Fashionable yet Sensible

Every girl needs a cute pair of flats (or two, or three, or four…) and their versatility makes them a style staple. Got a job interview? Got a hot date? These fashionable flats are fit for all occasions. The beauty is in their finishes, which make them statement-worthy, yet neutral enough for multiple outfits.

Earning your Stripes

Stripes are classic and can complement almost every pattern. They are simple and bold at the same time, which makes a stripped patterned shirt a no-brainer wardrobe essential. With its defined, crisp lines, a top like this one can be worn to class or even to a nice dinner with friends. Stripes are easy to layer and they look fantastic when paired with vibrant colors.

Black to Basics

Black is sexy. Black is bold. Black is essential. Owning a black shirt is like owning a key that opens all doors. Its neutral shade offers limitless outfit possibilities, making it the ultimate must-have color in your closet. Black is ideal for layering, toning down an outfit or standing alone. Wear it to class, wear it on the weekend, wear it to work—in the world of fashion, black is a liberating color.

Sparkle and Shine

Florals and prints can accent any outfit, but sequins can do so much more. Throwing on a sequined blazer adds a different dimension to any neutral piece, and can transform a day outfit into an evening outfit in a matter of seconds. Sequins offer more edge and flare than, perhaps, a more “delicate” pattern can. Stand out and sparkle.

Flirty and Free

Warm weather is approaching, which means it is time to bring out the summer clothes! One of the newer fashion trends gracing the runways and magazine covers is the high-waist maxi skirt. This skirt provides body and movement to an outfit, and can transform an entire spring look. This effortless style is great for lunch at Busboys and Poets or for relaxing on the Mall.

Adding Pep to an Outfit

Peplums are the new must-haves and can be worn for a number of occasions. The shirt’s cut and stitching is ideal for many body types. It gives the illusion of a tinier waist and a sexy hourglass shape. Pair it with a pencil skirt. Pair it with jeans. Pair it with almost anything you please.