This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As the spring semester begins at the University of Maryland, over 800 Maryland students are coming together for perhaps one of the biggest events on campus: sorority recruitment. Though there are often negative stereotypes about sorority rush, here are the top reasons to join one of the 15 amazing Panhellenic sorority chapters on campus:

1. Networking

Whether you’re majoring in biology, journalism, or anything in between, one piece of advice you’ll most likely receive throughout your college career is to network. By joining a sorority, you are giving yourself perhaps one of the biggest networking opportunities available. Not only are you joining a chapter of over 100 girls, but you are joining a national organization with thousands of alumni eager to connect with sisters across the country.

2. Friendship

At a school like Maryland with over 20,000 students, it’s easy to be overwhelmed. But joining a sorority will make the campus smaller, and introduce you to girls who will not only become some of your best friends but your sisters for the rest of your life. Plus, joining a sorority gives you the perfect opportunity to spend time with these girls through leadership opportunities, sisterhood activities, and formals.

3. Community Service

Too often tragic accidents involving Greek life overshadow the major accomplishments various chapters make in regards to community service. Every chapter is nationally associated with at least one philanthropy and each works to create events and fundraisers to support those causes.

4. Academics

Perhaps one of the most common stereotypes in regards to Greek life is that sorority girls are not academic. However, with over 100 girls in each chapter with different majors and strengths, sorority girls always have a helping hand in anything academic. Free tutors? I’ll take it.

5. Leadership

Every chapter in the Panhellenic community has an executive board that consists of a president, vice president, and other positions. The executive board is just one of many leadership opportunities that sororities have to offer and they encourage sisters to step outside of their comfort zone and put themselves in roles they may have never seen themselves in.  These roles prepare you for the future, boost resumes, and teach accountability and time management to name just a few benefits.  

Why do you think Greek Life is important? Sound off with a comment below!

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.