Beautiful Maryland weather vs. Horrible UMD schedules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

This weeks forecast is steadily in the high 60’s and low 70’s with tons of sunshine and low chances of rain. This weeks calendar, however, is full of group projects, term papers, and cramming last minute assignments before the finals rush comes toppling down over us all.

The problem is, sunshine is literally a lifeline for so many after a cold, rainy winter. But finishing up the semester strong is absolutely critical for so many classes. What’s a girl to do? Real life collegiettes tell us how they balance fun in the sun with pouding over their books.

Kelsie Renehan, sophomore English and Math double major:

I am a woman made of flowers. Work has to take a back seat some days, but only when thats a possibility. Honestly though school really has to come first. Summer is coming up and we’ll have plenty of time to enjoy outside but for now we have to get our work done and most of the time that means schoolwork comes first.

Stay calm, terpettes, you don’t have to completely give up on enjoying the weather just because your growing mound of school work comes first. There are many lovely outdoor study spaces to choose from when you need a daily fix of sunshine without compromising on your study schedule.

Liz Savopoulos, commuting senior history major:

That’s one of the best things about being a History major. I have a lot of work I can do with a book and a notebook, and without a computer. Because for real, who can read a computer screen in the sunshine? So yeah I’m all about the laying outside with a book and a highlighter and occasionally nodding off. The perks of living in HoCo [Howard County] are that there’s a lot of parks and stuff that aren’t overtaken by students. I try to avoid the mall because it’s so crowded when the weather’s nice and there’s naked people on the  quad.

Leading studies show, naked students aren’t the most conducive to studying. In fact, it’s highly recommended (by me, and research shows my recommendations really matter) to avoid busy areas like the quad and the mall when you want a really successful study session. The University, with its many trees to lounge under and the benches to spread your work on, has countless study space spread out further than just the somewhat distracting mall and nudist colony located on the quad.

Don’t let your work slide to the wayside, but remember that you’re only in college once and part of the experience is enjoying the beautiful campus we take for granted every day.