8 Signs That You’re Addicted to Your Cell Phone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Earlier in the year a friend of mine totaled her car while driving to work.  She was texting.  Everything was completely fine (except her car) and she walked out of the accident with no scratches, but it really made me think about how attached we are to our phones and social media.  Here are 8 ways to know if you need to rethink your cellphone usage.

1.     Your phone is the first thing you check in the morning: If you turn over in the morning and immediately reach for your phone to check Twitter or Facebook, then maybe it’s time for a change.  Wake up, stretch a little, drink some water, and brush your teeth before anything else.  Even these simple steps will help you regain a little more independence from your phone.

2.     You sleep text- This is a real thing.  I have seen my friends send a text in the middle of the night without realizing it and then wake up in the morning very confused.  This is a clear indicator that you are addicted to your phone because even when you are deep in your subconscious you crave the digital interaction.

3.     You form thoughts in 140 characters or less: If your everyday thoughts have changed from a stream of continuous noise to witty sentences for your 200 Twitter followers then it may be time to reevaluate how often you check social media.

4.     You see life through Instagram filters: If you cannot enjoy the beautiful scenery around you without thinking X-Pro II versus Valencia then it is time to change up your cellphone routine.  Take time to enjoy the sights around you.

5.      You feel anxious when you forget to bring your phone somewhere: This is an obvious one, but still needs to be said.  If you get concerned, anxious, sweaty, or nervous when you realize your phone is still back in your dorm instead of in your hand then you are most definitely, addicted to your phone.  Try purposely leaving your phone at home once or twice.

6.     You are often heard saying “Hold on, let me just send this text”: Saying this phrase here or there is totally normal, but if you are constantly stopping conversation to focus on other conversations then you need to wake up and put your phone down.  Talk to the people that are right in front of you and save the text conversation for a different time.

7.     You cannot remember the last time you turned your phone completely off: Sometimes in life you need to disconnect.  Airplane mode does not count.  Turn your phone off when the time calls for it.

8.     You miss full conversations because you were checking your phone: Ever try to have an important conversation with someone who is also having a conversation with their phone?  They end up wanting you to repeat everything you just said.  Annoying huh?

This video, may just change your perception on your phone usage! It is called “I Forgot My Phone” and it already has 32 million views! Check it out. 

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.