5 Inexpensive Ways to De-Stress During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

With finals upon us, there are a lot of Terps stressing out during all-nighters and study sessions.  Despite all the final projects and papers to be done, taking the time to relax will help improve your mood and keep you from burning out at the end of the semester.  There are lots of easy and inexpensive ways to de-stress in the middle of all the chaos.

Face Masks

Korean sheet masks, soaked in essence, help your skin recover from late nights at the library.  Sephora and other beauty stores carry their own versions, but at The Face Shop in Annandale, Virginia, they’re available for $2 each.  From hydrating to firming to brightening, there’s a mask designed for every skin problem.  After washing your face and applying toner, you unfold the sheet mask and place it over your face.  Twenty minutes later, peel the mask off and tap the essence into your skin instead of rinsing it off to leave your face feeling refreshed.

Bath Bombs

A warm bath soothes your tense muscles at the end of a long day in study groups.  Lush bath bombs, which range from $3.95 to 12.95, are made with essential oils and fill your bath with lots of fizz.  They’re so popular, people have been making memes inspired by them, as shown by this Buzzfeed article. 

Coffee with a Friend

Coffee is as ubiquitous as laptops during finals week.  Taking the time to get your caffeine boost with a friend will give you a chance to vent about the major term paper you need to finish by tomorrow.  If Starbucks isn’t your thing, you can also make coffee at home, which could be cheaper in the long run.  Creamers, like Coffee Mate, come in different flavors personalize your coffee so you have the ideal cup each time.

Hand Massages

We use our hands for everything, from taking notes to typing papers, but we don’t give them enough TLC.  A hand massage is free and doesn’t take very long to do.  You can give yourself one or take turns with a friend.  Rub your thumb over your palm and fingers in between working on your Prezi or copying your friend’s notes.

Go For a Run

Even though it can be the last thing we want to do, exercise can help us relax.  Paint Branch Trail, which runs along the University of Maryland, is a great place to go for a jog.  Running is a proven mood booster and is used by experts to help treat problems like clinical depression.  It can also help clear your mind, cluttered by all the material you have to memorize.  You’ll be ready to get back to work when you’re done.