Learning to Hear the Yes in the No

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

We have all been there. The world stops and accelerates at the same time. You want to scream but your mouth goes dry. That thing that you have been waiting for was right in front of you, and you just got told “no.”

Whether it’s a potential significant other, graduate school, a job or internship, or that campus org you were so pumped to join, you know exactly what I mean. I will not lie to you- it really hurts. I know it does. All you want to do is hole up in your dorm room and watch Netflix. If it’s really bad you may not watch Netflix at all. Do not do that.

Rejection hurts but you cannot isolate yourself from the world. As cliche as it sounds, when one door closes another door opens.

Every time you hear ‘no,’ think of it as an opportunity. It is time to stand back up and push yourself. You only heard ‘no’ because there is something so much better out there.

That jerk just broke your heart? Your future spouse is waiting and ready to love only you.

You didn’t just get into your dream school? The school that did accept you wants you there. Their program is just as wonderful.

You didn’t get the job? It was not that you are not good enough. It’s that you have more potential waiting to be untapped. Now is the time to unleash it.

You got cut from the sports team, didn’t get a bid, or didn’t get elected as president? Go somewhere where people will appreciate you and be excited about you being there.

You have all of the potential in the world. You are not worth any less than you were before. One incident does not define you. However, every incident does push you toward the path you are supposed to take. Trust me, you are right where you are supposed to be. You will be more than fine. You are going to accomplish things you would not even imagine possible.

The unknown is terrifying. The unknown is rewarding. Enter it willingly. I cannot wait to watch you succeed.

Aly Prouty

Marquette

East coast girl trying to figure out why Midwesterners are so sweet. Dancing, photography, coffee, daydreaming and Kappa Delta. Currently studying abroad at National University of Ireland at Galway.
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.