Lehigh's COMM 30 Class: Helping Sandy Victims

Posted -
Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast hard a few weeks ago, and many areas surrounding Lehigh University have been devastated by the storm's effects. The Lehigh population consists of many students coming from the New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania areas that were so badly hit by Sandy. Lehigh's campus itself was also affected, and classes were cancelled for an entire week. The Comm 30 class is doing what they can to help out, so we asked a student in the class and HC Lehigh writer Lizzie Gilbert a little more about the project.  

What is Comm 30?
Comm 30 is a course called Media and Society taught by Jeremy Littau. It is a requirement for both the journalism major and communications minor.

How many students are in the class? Are they all participating?
40 people are in the class however only 35 are participating in the project. The other 5 are choosing to take the final exam.

How often does the class meet?
Our class meets twice a week. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:45-12

Can you tell us a little more about the class and what you do in it?
We have 4 reflection papers throughout the semester, each pertaining to a book we read outside of class. Our first reflection paper involved us tracking our media usage for an entire week and reflecting on that.

Why did the class get involved with Hurricane Sandy?
It was our professors idea to do this project. Instead of a final he wanted to find a way to highlight all that we've learned regarding different mediums and social networks. We are using our knowledge to spread the word and raise awareness.

Has the project been successful?
So far it's been pretty successful. Our Facebook page has over 600 likes and we have raised about $1000 with 23 days left. Our goal is to reach $5000.

How were you personally affected by Sandy?
My house lost power and we couldn't really leave our street. Trees were blocking entrances on both sides. Read my blog post on our class project blog to see my full story!

How was Lehigh affected by Sandy?
I think many of Lehigh's students were impacted by Sandy. Everyone has their own story to tell, power was lost, trees were down, some people even had to move. Part of our goal for this project is to share these stories.

If you would like to do what you can to help, or just want to learn more about the Comm 30 Project, check out their Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/COMM30..., or just search "Lehigh Univerity COMM 30 for Sandy Victims. You can also view the student's blogs for more info on their stories, and how they were affected at: http://comm30sandy.blogspot.co...

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

Kara Falcone is a Sophomore English major in the College of Arts and Sciences at Lehigh University. Kara is a campus correspondent and co-founder of the HC branch at her school. She was born and raised in Duxbury, Massachusetts where she spent lots of time with friends and family. She is on the club Field Hockey team at Lehigh and is also involved in the Schools For Schools club and Colleges Against Cancer. In her free time, Kara enjoys running by the river in Bethlehem, relaxing with friends, and spending a lot of time outdoors. In high school, she was a member of the Best Buddies club, S.A.D.D. (Students Against Destructive Decisions), Student Council, and National Honor Society. She stayed active by playing on the Varsity Field Hockey team and was captain of the girls' Golf team. She was also on the school newspaper, "The Dragon Flyer", and this sparked her interest in Her Campus. She would love to work in journalism and communications one day, and is so excited about starting up Her Campus at Lehigh!

Editor's Note

From Around The Web

We Recommend

User login