Guide to Spring Formal Recruitment at Lehigh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

I cannot believe it, but it is almost that time of the year again, Formal Recruitment (less formally known as rush by many)! If you are completely clueless, like I was last year, about what rush, or even sororities are all about, do not worry! If you went to Open Houses, the rounds of rush are very similar, but if you did not make it to Open Houses, do not worry. Basically, formal recruitment is set up so you can meet as many girls as possible in the little amount of time spent at each house. Yes, this can be stressful, especially if you do not know any girls already in the sororities, but as long as you follow these tips you will be all set to impress!

1. Keep an Open Mind!

This all starts with forgetting any stereotypes you may have heard, whether they are about certain sororities or Greek life as a whole. As corny as it sounds, rush truly works out so that you end up in the house that is meant for you, and if you are too stuck on what other people are saying, you may not end up in the best sorority for you.

2. Don’t stress too much about your outfit!

They say dress to impress, but don’t go overboard!  People should be more concerned about who you are as a person, not what you’re wearing. Most of all, wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident, but don’t go overboard with accessories.  Tons of jewelry and sky high heels might look cute at first, but halfway through the day, you’ll be wishing you were wearing some comfy, casual boots and leggings.

(We will be posting an article about what to wear later this week… so make sure to check back with us later this week)

3. Don’t forget to eat!

Believe me, the days are going to be long, and you are going to regret not taking that delicious looking sandwich when you are on the bus with your stomach grumbling! I don’t know where the crazy rumor came from that girls won’t like you if you actually eat the food, but this is ridiculous. The houses spend A LOT of money on all the food they serve, and no one wants it to go to waste, so dig in!

4. Make sure to follow all the rules!

Yes, it is ridiculous that you cannot take a dirty napkin out of the house because it is considered a “gift”. And it is sort of awkward that you aren’t allowed to hug or shake hands with any of the sorority girls even if you have seen them a million times before. At the same time, these are the rules, and no one wants to get in trouble due to a technicality! If you have any questions or concerns about the rules of formal recruitment, make sure you talk to your Rho Gam or get in touch with someone on panhel!

5. BE YOURSELF!

I will never know what it is about girls that cause them to act completely differently around certain people. Acting like you are totally into lying out on the beach all day, when really you would rather be hiking through mountain trails is not going to allow people to get to know the true you. A sorority is a place where you meet girls who enjoy similar interests, so why lie and end up in the completely wrong house for you? As long as you act like yourself, you are sure to shine!

Just remember, you will end up where you are meant to be!

Don’t forget to register for Recruitment by December 27th. Just click the link below:

https://lehiun.icsrecruiter.com/pan/enrollment/Registration.aspx?UID=LEHIUN

Contact Tiffany Kuperschmidt, VP of Recruitment, with any questions, tmk214@lehigh.edu

I'm Tiel, a sophmore at Lehigh University in the College of Business and Economics. Last year I joined Pi Beta Phi, and I have loved every second of it! On campus I am also involved in GEM, Marketing Club, and the America Reads/America Counts program.