Rehema Figueiredo – Leeds Student Editor Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Editor of Leeds Student, Leeds University Union’s student run newspaper, is a very sought after job. HC Leeds spoke to Rehema Figueiredo, running for the position of Leeds Student Editor… Voting opens on the 4th of March for LUU’s Leadership race.

Why have you chosen to run for Leeds Student Editor in this year’s leadership race?

I think the newspaper probably sees more of me than my housemates do and there’s a reason for that. I’ve dedicated about 20 hours a week to the paper for a long time because I get such a buzz from seeing it in the stands on a Friday morning and thinking ‘I had a hand in that!’. I genuinely believe that Leeds Student is the best student newspaper in the country and it’s a great place to work, even if it’s for free.

How did you first get involved with the newspaper?

I think it was petty much the first day of my first year that I turned up at the paper and said ‘please can I write for you?’ I’ve known for quite a while that I want to be a journalist and that’s partly why I applied to Leeds, because of Leeds Student’s reputation. I was also lucky enough to be an Online Editor in my first year.

What experience do you feel that you’d bring to the role?

At the paper I’ve worked for three different Editors with three very different styles so I have a pretty good idea of what I think what works and what doesn’t. I’ve been a writer, an Online Editor, a News Editor and I’m now an Associate Editor so I think I’m the most experienced candidate running. Outside of the paper I’ve done lots of work experience for regional and national media including the Liverpool Echo, The Telegraph, the BBC, Reuters and the Press Association.

What are your career aspirations?

I’m a Londoner so I’d really love to work for the Evening Standard. I think it’s the best free paper out there. I also had a really great time working for the Press Association so being one of their general reporters would be an amazing job. But really, I’d just like to get paid to do what I already do at Leeds Student!

Can you talk us through some of the key points of your manifesto, and how you would hope to implement them?

I think the point that has got most people talking has been my idea to have more vouchers in the paper. As important as the content is, it’s a tough time for students financially and I think the paper should be giving something back rather than just helping its members. We were also the first student newspaper in the country to have an iPad app so why do we not have an iPhone app? Lastly, think that most people don’t realise that there’s a pull out magazine in the middle of the paper so I’d make it more obvious by having things like an Agony Aunt, more Fashion and Music and making it magazine size.

How’s the campaign going and what can we expect from you over the next couple of weeks?

It’s going really well and the support so far has been really encouraging. I’ve got a great campaign team who are going to help me out over the next couple of weeks as I try to talk to as many of the 30,000 people on campus as possible. I’m not giving away too many secrets but I can promise lots of 90s dancing, giveaways and chances to be featured as the ‘student of the week’.

How did you come up with your campaign slogan?

In case you hadn’t noticed, I have an extremely long and complicated name. I sat down with my team over dinner and we bounced some ideas around before we came up with ‘Getting Figgy with It’. You’d be surprised how many songs you can get the word ‘Figgy’ into. Everyone loves Will Smith though.

How are you managing to balance all of this alongside completing the third year of your degree?

I try to keep some routine to my day so although I work really long hours, doing my degree, working at the paper and campaigning, I always make sure I’ve got some time to switch off. I often go running in Hyde Park to clear my head, I enjoy yoga and I’m really enjoying watching Borgen at the moment (it’s a weird Danish political drama, trust me, it’s better than it sounds.)

If you don’t manage to get elected, what are your plans after graduating?

Firstly I’m going to have some fun! I’m planning to go Interrailing around Eastern Europe with one of my housemates and will probably go on holiday with my family. Beyond that, I’ve applied for several postgrad courses in Journalism in London.

Finally, why should we vote for you?

Because I would make Leeds Student fun, interesting and exciting. I think I know what makes people pick up the paper, it’s free and should be the first place people go for campus news, views and culture. If you choose me as Editor I can promise to make it your paper.

Find out more by liking Rehema’s campaign page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GettingFiggyWithIt
You can also read more of Rehema’s manifesto here: http://www.leedsuniversityunion.org.uk/elections/manifesto/2630/

Image Sources:
All Rehema’s own.