The best ways to spend your summer holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Summer is on its way and before you start revising for exams you need to book your summer holiday! But if your student loan hasn’t left you with much to spend, don’t worry. There are plenty of destinations available where you don’t have to shell out a fortune and which still promise a great time. If you can manage to go away in June or at the start of September, you can save loads of money on flights and hotel prices. Looking at accommodation websites such as airbnb can save money too, through great deals such as self-catering apartments, which can often be cheaper than hotels.

The couple’s weekend

The classic romantic weekends such as Paris and Venice unfortunately tend to come with high prices. However, do not give up just yet as there are loads of other options to consider. Ljubliana, the capital of Slovenia is an underrated romantic destination. Think cocktails by the river lit only by glowing lamps, and rambling down picturesque streets. Hotels are cheaper here than in the major European cities too, and as the city is so compact you can walk everywhere. Hike up to the castle and you’ll be rewarded with a view of the whole city. If you want a day out of the city, Lake Bled, with its stunning scenery and cheap boat rides, is only an hour’s bus ride away.

Lake Bled in summer

City Break with the girls

Want a great holiday with your friends but aren’t a fan of the beach? Budapest has everything you need. The weather is bound to be hotter than the UK and there’s loads to do. The nightlife is great; the ruin bars such as Szimpla Kert are busy every night during the summer and they’re a really unique experience. In the day you can explore the castle, the citadel and the bustling streets. After a night out the perfect fix for a hangover can be found in the thermal baths – they’re stunningly beautiful inside and incredibly relaxing. When it comes to accommodation, you can save a lot of money by staying in a hostel. Don’t panic if sharing a dorm doesn’t sound like your kind of thing, as most hostels have private rooms that you can book. They normally also have a great atmosphere

where you can meet people from all over the world. Make sure you check the reviews first though.

Szimpla Kert ruin pub in Budapest

Beach Break with the girls

Been sitting in your lectures dreaming of sea and sand? If the perfect holiday for you is by the beach there are a ton of budget options just for you. Turkey’s Olu Deniz coastline is stunning and it’s guaranteed to be really hot, so there’s no chance of returning without a tan. Nearly all the hotels have swimming pools so try to choose one with a good review. With plenty of bars to choose from, you can also have fun in the evenings. You’re bound to get a cheaper deal if you opt for self catered and it can be fun to cook a few meals together as a group.

Olu Deniz- Turkey

Solo Exploration

Are all your friends working this summer or do you just fancy branching out alone? Going travelling by yourself can be scary but it’s also an amazing experience. There are just so many options. The only downside is you can end up spending more as single room prices tend to carry a premium price. Sailing Croatia holidays can be quite pricey but you can get discounts if you’re travelling out of peak season in June. You’re guaranteed to be sailing with a large group of

people so you’ll definitely make lots of friends. You’ll also learn a new skill, visit a ton of great beaches and have a few drunken nights along the way!

Sail Croatia

The ultimate budget break

If money is a real problem for you this summer, there are still options. Get your friends together (including one with a car…) and simply head somewhere in the UK! Newquay in Cornwall has great surfing beaches, while Brighton has loads of shops to explore and plenty of nightlife. Plus with both of those southern options, you might be lucky and still get some hot weather! If city breaks are more your thing you can head to Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival. Prices tend to soar near the end of August so book now for a deal. The Festival has so much to offer and the nightlife in the city is renowned.

Alternatively you could make your own road trip and visit your lovely uni friends. One of the best things about going to uni is that you meet people from all over the UK. You could do a circuit of all your friends, with a local tour guide to show you around in each new city. And it’s even better if you have an international friend and you can scrape together the money for a flight; you could get a cheap foreign break!

Edinburgh’s Fringe Festival

The working holiday

There’s no reason you can’t be paid to have a good time. Aupairworld.co.uk has lots of summer opportunities. If you like children, this could be the perfect

holiday. You could even get a chance to improve your language skills. Make sure you check the location to see if it’s somewhere you’d be happy spending the summer.

Aupairing in Europe

Volunteer this summer

There’s no more rewarding way to spend the summer than volunteering. Original volunteers have lots of different opportunities available around the world and the price normally includes food and accommodation. You could spend this summer helping in an orphanage or teaching in a school. Many have the option of free weekends where you can go travelling around the country.

Volunteering in Cambodia

Image Source:

1) http://lakebled.info http://bebudapest.hu/venue/ruin-pubs-in-the-7th-district/

2) http://www.directline-holidays.co.uk/turkey/dalaman-region/olu-deniz

3) http://www.tourradar.com/t/4536 http://blog.mrandmrssmith.com/2010/08/diary-edinburgh-festival-fringe/

4) aupairbuzz.culturalcare.com www.generousnomads.com