AvocaDO not AvocaDON’T

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This is my fourth year at Leeds University and after more ‘student recipes’ than I can bare, I thought it was time to share with you a few still-cheap-but-even more-cheerful recipes that have seen me through the years. Welcome to the world of healthy fats. Don’t let the F word intimidate you, not all of them are bad. Avocados are packed with monounsaturated fat; the type you should increase your intake of anyway, but especially if you’re cutting back on carbs and want to keep curb your cravings! Studies have shown that avocados can help to protect your liver against damage, keep your brain & heart healthy, have anti-inflammatory and anti-aging qualities and can give your skin that sought after natural glow. So, here are three ways to eat better and feel better this winter:

1. Avocado & Chickpea Salad

Ingredients:

1 tin of chick peas (drained and rinsed)

1 Ripe avocado

1 Red onion

1 Large tomato/10 cherry tomatoes

10cm of Cucumber

1/2 Lemon- zest & juice

1 Big clove of garlic

2 jarred peppers (delicious but optional, or 1/2 fresh red pepper)

1 handful of black olives

1 tsp of dried mint

1 Block of feta cheese

1 tsp of Olive oil

Salt & Pepper

Method:

1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Tip them into a large mixing bowl and crush in the clove of garlic, grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice.

2. Roughly chop the onion, tomatoes, cucumber and peppers and add to the mix with the olives.

3. Sprinkle over mint, paprika, a pinch of salt and pepper, squeeze over the lemon juice (through your hand so as to catch any rogue pips) and mix together.

4. Halve the avocado and remove the seed and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh (getting as close to the skin as possible!). Slice onto a plate, sprinkle with a little pepper and top with the chickpea salad. Crumble over a match box sized piece of feta cheese and give the lemon one last squeeze and serve.

Tip: Save the rest of the chickpea salad in a box in the fridge- the perfect portable lunch.

2. Smokey Bacon Avocado Toast

Ingredients:

2-3 Rashers of smoked bacon

1 Ripe avocado

1 Tomato/ 7 Cherry tomatoes

1-2 Slices or rye, granary or general brown bread

1/2 tsp Smoked paprika

1 splash of Tabasco sauce

1 squeeze of lemon juice

Salt & Pepper

Method:

1. Separate the rashers of bacon and grill until visibly crisp but not burnt.

2. Halve the avocado, remove the seed and scoop out into dish- remember to scoop as close to the skin as possible! Mash the avocado a little with a pinch of salt and pepper and some lemon juice, add a couple of drops of tabaso.

3. Roughly chop the tomatoes and set aside.

4. Toast your bread.

5. Assemble! Stack all of your ingredients onto the bread: avocado, then tomatoes, then bacon and sprinkle over a little paprika.

Tip: This is the ideal hangover cure- if you feel up to it then maybe top with a fried egg before adding the paprika.

3. Guacamole

There’s no excuse for buying the weird jarred version.

Ingredients:

1 large ripe avocado or 2 smaller ones

1/2 Large red onion

1/2 Large ripe tomato or 6 Cherry tomatoes

1 small red chili, deseeded

2 Tbsp of fresh coriander (stalks included)

1/2 Lime

Salt & Pepper

Method:

1. Halve, deseed and scoop out the flesh of the avocado and mash this into a bowl.

2. Finely chop the onion and coriander, roughly chop the tomato and add to the avocado.

3. Finely chop the chili and add, then squeeze over the lime, add a pinch of salt and pepper and give it a final mix.

Tip: serve with practically anything!

Emma Bakel