10 of the Best Side Characters on Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Top 10 Best Side Characters On Friends

These characters are not as well known as the six main characters, but they deserve a shout out too. After a lot of thought the top ten have been narrowed down, a task that is not that easy. With ten seasons, there are a lot of guest appearances and side characters that come and go. After recalling favorite moments, there were cuts made to the people who were less known (like Fun Bobby, Paul the Wine Guy, Frank Buffay Jr., and Rachel’s Dad). Here’s the top ten list, in no particular order:

1. Janice Litman Goralnik

“OH…. MY…..GOD….”

Janice (played by Maggie Wheeler) was Chandler’s on again, off again relationship for the first four seasons. Janice is one of the few side characters who appears in all ten seasons of Friends. Janice is portrayed as a drama queen and very tacky. Her nasal-y voice and thick New York accent was a trademark, and one of the reasons why Chandler had to end things with her so many times.   

2. Mr. Heckles

Although he only made appearances in a few episodes in the first season, Mr. Heckles (played by Larry Hankin) was a very memorable character. Always portrayed as a mean old man living underneath Monica and Rachel, Mr. Heckles was always banging on the ceiling with a broom and at the door complaining that the gang was being too loud. Mr. Heckles was also known for saying the weirdest things. In season two, he passes away and leaves his apartment to Rachel and Monica, oddly enough. While cleaning out the apartment, Chandler figured out he and Mr. Heckles had many similarities. When noticing this, Chandler was scared he was going to end up alone just like Mr. Heckles.

3. Gunther

Gunther (played by James Michael Tyler) is another one of the only characters who appear in all seasons of Friends. Gunther works at the gang’s usual hang out, Central Perk. Gunther is known for his sarcastic comments and love for Rachel. Gunther has become a significant recurring character, he would often be seen at birthday parties and other events the gang throws. Editors note: Gunther was never supposed to have lines.

4. Carol Willick (Willick-Bunch, formerly Geller)

Carol (played by Jane Sibbett) is Ross’s first ex-wife and the mother of Ross’s son, Ben. Carol and Ross ended their marriage when Carol became romantically involved with her friend, Susan.

5. Richard Burke

Richard (played by Tom Selleck) was Monica’s boyfriend and a close friend to her parents. With a 21 year age gap, Monica and Richard’s relationship came as a shock to her parents and other people on the show. Although Monica and Richard start dating in season 2 and break up later that season, Richard was a very important character. Richard was Monica’s first love. He also appears a few times throughout the rest of the series.

6. Jack Geller

Monica and Ross’s father (played by Elliot Gould) appears in the most episodes as a side character. Jack Geller is best known for his ill-timed, inappropriate comments. Often paired with his hilarious wife Judy, the mother of Monica and Ross, he can make some sexual comments. Jack is known for calling Monica his little “Harmonica” as a nickname and for favoring Ross. It’s no surprise that Jack is some people’s favorite side character.

7. Ugly Naked Guy

Acknowledged throughout the whole series, Ugly Naked Guy (played by Mike Hagerty) lived in the apartment directly across from Monica. Until Ross moved in, the gang used to always make comments on what Ugly Naked Guy was doing and how gross it was. Ugly Naked Guy only made two real appearances on the show, though. The character is an added element on hilarity to New York City life and is a staple character.

8. Mike Hannigan

Ugh Mike! I love Mike! Mike (played by Paul Rudd) is introduced in season 9. Being introduced in the second to last season, you wouldn’t think Mike would have a big impact on the show or with the group, but you’re wrong. Mike and Phoebe, after meeting under weird circumstances, eventually get married. Mike is the first person Phoebe fully commits to in a relationship. The pair have their fair share of hardships, but they love each other greatly. Sometimes Mike is referred to as the “seventh friend”.

9. Estelle Leonard

“Hey Joey. It’s Estelle.”

Estelle (played by June Gable) is Joey’s chain-smoking acting agent. Although getting Joey his breakout role on Days of Our Lives, Estelle didn’t help Joey’s career much. Estelle and Joey didn’t always see eye to eye, but Joey loved her and always felt bad if he got angry with her. Before Estelle’s death in season 10, she popped up here and there to help Joey out with his career. Estelle was also the last death on Friends.

10. Sandra Green

Sandra Green (played by Marlo Thomas) is Rachel’s mom on the show. Sandra makes her first appearance in the second season, when she tells Rachel that she is divorcing her father. Sandra stays with Rachel for a little while and wants to get back into life before marriage. She always asked the funniest questions like “What’s new in sex?” and “Does anyone have marijuana?” When yelled at, Sandra says, “What, I never tried it!” Although only appearing in three episodes, Sanda is a hilarious character and fits in just right with the gang.

Kyle Mahoney

Lasell '18

Kyle Mahoney is a recent Lasell College graduate. Kyle majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, with a minor in Business. Kyle has written for Her Campus Lasell for three years, as well with completing an internship with HCHQ Spring semester of 2018.