5 Ridiculous Arguments Couples Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

If you have ever been in a long-term relationship, you know that the arguments become more ridiculous as time goes by.  Some of your arguments may seem serious in the moment, but in retrospect they are funny and entertaining.

1. Adopting a Pet

You recently fell in love with an animal you found on–let’s be honest– Craigslist. You show your significant other the photo and gush about how the animal would make the perfect addition to your household. He begs to differ and argument ensues.

Why you no love me?

2. Asking for Directions

You and your significant other embark on a road trip together, but you soon realize you are lost. He refuses to pull over and ask for directions and you give him the benefit of the doubt. Thirty minutes and a figure eight later you are right back where you started. This leads you to make a snarky comment, which ends in bickering. 

3. Telling different versions of the same story

There are two sides to every story, and your story is no exception. You and your guy grab dinner with mutual friends, and you begin telling the story of last weekend’s adventures. Your guy chimes in with a few details and you quickly say, “Umm no, that’s not how it happened.” He rebuttals with sarcasm and says, “I’m pretty sure I was there.” Both of you start arguing back-and-forth over the insignificant details and your group dinner becomes a debate tournament.

4. Changing the radio station in the car

You want to listen to KIIS FM, but he insists on listening to Jack FM. A battle begins, and you both keep switching the stations back-and-forth and raising the volume higher and higher. One of you eventually gets fed up with the other, and you turn the radio off, sit in silence and refuse to talk to each other for the remainder of the car ride. 

Change the station one more time…

5. Spending time with each other’s families during the holidays

This argument usually starts when your significant other comments that he’s not looking forward to sitting next to Aunt Dottie during the holiday dinner because she smells like pinecones and rambles on about how her childhood was so difficult. You obviously come to Aunt Dottie’s defense and comment on one of his not-so-likeable relatives and you two ultimately argue over whose family is more dysfunctional.