Wilma Mankiller: First Female Chief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Wilma Mankiller is a huge icon in the Native American community. She was born on November 18, 1945 in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. For years, Mankiller was the leading advocate for the Cherokee people and in 1985 she became the first female chief of the Cherokee Indian Nation. This was an amazing accomplishment for Wilma Mankiller and the Cherokee Nation.

Mankiller focused much of her energy on health care, the education system, and the government. She wanted her people to live good, healthy lives and continue their traditions within their Cherokee culture. Although Mankiller faced many challenges within her own life, she never complained and always strived to help others who were in need.

What’s interesting about Mankiller’s life is that Alcatraz is what inspired her to reach out and help her Native people. Mankiller says, “When Alcatraz occurred, I became aware of what needed to be done to let the rest of the world know that Indians had rights, too. Alcatraz articulated my own feelings about being an Indian.” After this, Mankiller stood up for Natives’ legal rights and aimed to defend them in law.

Wilma Mankiller was not criticized for her views on the issues she supported, but for being a woman when she was elected as chief. Although many did not support her being the first female chief, she stood strong and did what she promised for her people.

Mankiller served her people for three terms. During those terms, she suffered from multiple health issues like lymphoma, a neuromuscular disorder, kidney failure and pancreatic cancer. Although she struggled through these health problems, she still managed to help those who were in need. Despite her own obstacles, within her terms she tripled the Cherokee’s enrollment, doubled employment, built new houses, health centers and children’s centers.

Wilma ManKiller was so successful in all she strived to do in order to help her fellow Cherokee people. Although Mankiller was only half Cherokee, she loved her culture and wanted to see it grow and be better after all the hurt and destruction caused when they were forced out of their lands. Mankiller died in 2010 which shook, not only the Cherokee Nation, but other cultures as well. Wilma Mankiller was a hero in the eyes of many and her words and work for others still lives on today.

While being a member of Kutztown University’s Her Campus, I was the Vice President and lead editor. Her Campus afforded me many opportunities to voice my thoughts and opinions freely, and let them be heard by anyone reading. I found Her Campus to be a great tool in helping me advance my future in writing and editing.