Three TV Shows That Give Me Hope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Having recently been disappointed by one of my favorite shows, I have been searching for shows that can redeem some of my faith in the television industry. My short list fades from mostly serious and emotional to complete comedic chaos.

1. The Handmaid’s Tale (contains potentially triggering imagery of rape and abuse)

This Hulu original is based off Margaret Atwood’s 1985 novel. The story is set in a post-war America now run by extremist Christians who follow a misguided reading of the Old Testament. Offred, the main character, is forced to fulfill the role of “handmaid” in which she is to bear children for one of the powerful families who are presumably infertile. In short, she is raped every month when she is the most fertile and is forced to live a life full of abuse. The Handmaid’s Tale displays a remarkable balance between the absolutely horrifying reality of Offred’s life and her internal, sarcastic coping mechanism. It is a powerful and beautifully filmed comment on the most sickening parts of our society. Make sure you’re hydrating if you binge watch this show, because there will be a lot of crying. Like, a lot. The second season will return to Hulu on April 25, 2018.

2. Queer Eye

This Netflix original (a reboot of the 2003 version with an all new cast) is a reality show that follows five gay men, all an expert in a different field, as they makeover nominated guests. Queer Eye is worth watching for a number of reasons. Not only does this show allow us to peek into the personalities of five uniquely wonderful gay men (The Fab Five), but it also allows us to peek into the lives of a variety of guests from a Trump-supporting police officer to a gay man who hasn’t officially come out to his family. This show provides an equal amount of tears of laughter and tears of genuine emotion, whether it be from shared sadness or a peculiar sense of pride in complete strangers. It is ridiculously refreshing and uplifting. An airdate for Queer Eye‘s second season has not yet been released. In the meantime, I recommend following them each on Instagram. Every time one of their posts pops up on my timeline, my day is instantly brightened. 

3. Documentary Now!

Although this show is not new to me like the former are, I have noticed that anytime I mention Documentary Now! in conversation, most people are not familiar with it. It is a mockumentary series on IFC (but also currently available on Netflix) created by a team of SNL alumni: Fred Armisen, Bill Hader, Seth Meyers and Rhys Thomas. Armisen and Hader portray varying, hilariously different roles ranging from a mother and a daughter who have a dark secret to disagreeing members of a famous band. This show is purely about the laughs, if you give my first two suggestions a shot and you’re exhausted from their emotional impact. Armisen and Hader positively shine in every role. Seasons one and two are available on Netflix and a third season is supposedly being released in 2019. 

writer & editor | Pennsylvania native | coffee & fictional characters | fiercely intersectional feminist