This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I’ll admit it now: I’ve never been to a KU sporting event. I know, I know, when you go to a Big 12 school, that’s absolute blasphemy, but there it is. I do, however, know a thing or two about gameday fashion if only for the fact that I’m a sales leader at the local Francesca’s. That means I am a go-to for the best crimson and blue apparel in the store. Just for you, HC, I’ve compiled a few of my favorite tailgate-ready outfits built from basics you can find anywhere! 

For our first head-to-toe styling, I chose a simple down vest to throw over a blue and white striped sweater and paired it with a red pendant necklace. This is perfect for the casual chic girl braving the elements to cheer on her Jayhawks. You can switch the sweater out with a plaid or even a long-sleeved team shirt. Instead of heels, throw on some staple boots and match it with some leggings! There are all sorts of ways to make this idea your own.

For this look, we layered a white cardigan over a crimson shirt with a blue pendant. We’ve covered all of our color bases with this one! Jazz it up with some KU gameday accessories like red and blue party beads or Jayhawk pins! 

Another outfit built from items you already have in your closet! Here we have a dark chambray shirt-dress with a festive KU-colored scarf. It doesn’t get any simpler than that, but you’ll stand out at the tailgate for sure with your inventive chambray usage. Better yet, keep a chambray shirt unbuttoned over your official Jayhawk merchandise! 

Getting fancy with a dress! Here we found a plaid poncho, originally fashioned to be a shirt but featured here as a layering piece. This red cupro dress has a knot in the side for added texture and fare. You’ll be anything but basic in the bleachers! 

This dress has KU gameday written all over it. Not only can you wear it on the daily, but it looks fantastic with a plaid tied on the waist. With the right necklace, you can really class it up and impress the fam. Go the extra mile and wear with heels: the better to watch Jayhawks win in! 

Thumbnail from KU Bookstore’s official Instagram. All other photos by the author of this article.

Hannah Strader graduated from the University of Kansas in December 2018 with a degree in journalism and creative writing. She has past experience as both a writer and editor for high school and collegiate level newspaper staff and spent the summer of 2017 in London working with Healthista, an online women's health magazine. Her passions include but are not limited to Harry Styles, Taco Bell, witchcraft and books. She has two cats and can recite all the U.S. presidents in order. She's proud to call herself a Her Campus alumni. Formerly the Editor in Chief, Senior Editor, and staff writer at Her Campus KU.