HOW TO: Make College Your Experience!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Coming to orientation the summer before my freshman year, I had heard so many awesome things about KU from other people. So, I might have been expecting too much for my first semester – and a lot of things didn’t turn out the way I would have wanted them. So, today, I wanted to share with you some of my tips that I have learned about how to have your own experience here at KU! 

DO Take Things With a Grain of Salt

Okay, so one of the most important things about having your own experience is not listening to others when they tell you college years will be just like theirs. Obvious, I know. But it is definitely something that many people forget – including me. A huge part of college is learning new things. So, learning to take everything with a grain of salt is a great way to learn better. I’m sorry for the terrible analogy, but it is very true! Let me explain: When I came to college, I had so many people tell me I was going to do certain things, be in a certain sorority – all which I was not. Of course, I was hurt because I didn’t have those things, but I learned how to take those talks and turn them into advice. Anyway, what I’m trying to say is learning how to do those things is a very large part of having your own college experience because you listen to what your heart is telling you – rather than your mother’s or your best friend’s!

DON’T Expect Everything to Be Perfect

When I stepped on campus back in August I was expecting the same experience my mom had in her dorm – and I was so disappointed when it didn’t happen that way. I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t expect everything to be perfect – or to have the same experience as someone else. Every girl on campus is different – you included. Everyone is going to have a different experience, despite what many people say. So, don’t take everything to heart when something is different – or changes. It’s all part of becoming you and being different – see what I did there? – Besides, everything being perfect is kind of boring anyway!

DON’T Worry About Impressing Others

College is such a big change from high school and as a freshman, it unfortunately didn’t take me long to realize that. But, I do think that one of the perks of being a college student rather than in high school is you don’t have to worry about impressing your peers or cliques. I mean sure, there are going to be those people, but most people don’t do that. Having your own experience in college is not worrying about what your peers think of you. Sure, some of it hurts and it takes a little while to get used to it, but for the long run, it will make you feel better. When you feel confident in yourself and your grades – your own experience, free of judging or free of other people’s input seems to fall into place.

DO Have Fun!

A major part of college is doing homework and studying hard for exams But, you do need to let loose once in a while. From what I’ve experienced here a college, it is so nice to go out with my friends on a Friday night. But, I do recommend not going overboard, because it can end badly. But, there are so many ways to have fun and that is what makes everyone experience unique – because we all have different things we find fun! So, get out there and have a blast! 

My goodness that was a lot of tips! But, in all seriousness, I hope that this helps you ladies in discovering how awesome college can be when it is your experience. With this year coming to a close and next semester less than five months away – focus on being yourself and having fun – and you’re sure to have an experience you’ll never forget! 

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_