Did you know we have more than one school song?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Every school has a fight song, but did you know that KU has FIVE? That doesn’t even include our Alma Mater or our state song. As a former member of the Marching Jayhawks, I got very acquainted with these songs, and as I’ve made my transition from the band section to the student section I’ve noticed that our student body may be limited to just clapping along at sporting events. So as a guide for students from freshmen all the way to super seniors, I’m going to break those songs down. 

Let’s start with the one that everyone knows: “I’m a Jayhawk”

Written by: George Bowles

Year: 1912

How to recognize this song: This song is the one you’ve probably all heard on a visit or at orientation. It’s definitely the most popular AND the one that everyone claps to. If you’re struggling to keep up, KU has a how-to video here

What’s so great about it: Senior Clarinetist of the Marching Jayhawks, Kelsey James (@kelseyjames42), said “I feel like it really shows the tradition and pride that we have for our school. I think this song connects us more with the student section because it is so well known and there’s an element of participation with the clap sequence. It also brings a really fun energy to game day.”

We hoot and holler to “Fighting Jayhawk”

Written by: William Davis

How to recognize this song: This is the song full of “Oh’s” (freshman you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about after your first football/basketball game) and in the middle of the song everyone chants “Go Jayhawks! Fight Jayhawks! Win Jayhawks!”

A personal favorite: Sophomore Taylor Bagwell (@djtbagindamix) said, “It gets me hyped up and ready to win the game. If they don’t play it, it doesn’t feel complete.”

“Stand Up and Cheer”:

Written by: J.C. Mcandles

How to recognize this song: The band has a really fun dance that they do to this song where every other person goes up and down (opposite those next to them).

Recent KU Alum Jacquelyn Merryfield (@jacqmerryfield) said, “I can’t say that I enjoyed playing it [in the band], but it always seemed to pump up the fans and that’s what’s important.”

It’s pretty simple, it’s called “Kansas Song”:

Written by: Jack Laffer

How to recognize this song: You’ll hear this song more at football games and if you’re early enough for pregame, it’s the one where the band flips the “KU” formation from facing one side of the stands to the other (it’s really cool).

“Sunflower Song”… This IS the Sunflower State:

Written by: Hal David

How to recognize this song: Like “Kansas Song”, if you’re early enough to see pregame it’s the song played as the band forms a giant sunflower. Pretty simple, just look for the big flower.

“I definitely get Sunflower and Kansas songs confused all of the time. They’re both really cool songs, they’re just so similar,” said freshman Sarah Glane. 

Our Alma Mater… “The Crimson and the Blue”:

Written by: George Penny Barlow

Year: 1891

A little history: Based off of the tune “Far Above Cayuga’s Waters,” professor Barlow scrambled to put something together for the Glee Club to take on tour. After a little game of Mad Lib, we’ve been hailing to old KU ever since.

How to recognize this song: No matter if you’re new on campus or this is your last semester I can only hope that you don’t need help recognizing this one. But be warned, the “Rock Chalk Chant” to follow can oftentimes get messy if you can’t keep up.

“For me, this song is the trademark of why I chose to become a Jayhawk. It’s exciting and emotional all in one and I love it,” said junior Karla King.

And make sure you stay for “Home on the Range”:

Written by: Daniel E. Kelley

How to recognize this song: Like the “Crimson and the Blue,” hopefully you can recognize this one on your own, but I fear that a lot of students don’t stay late enough to hear it. So win or lose, don’t race for the exits and keep listening.

Author’s Choice: I saved the best for last in my opinion. I love this song because it is a great way to wrap up every sporting event. To me, it’s an encore to our Alma Mater and reminds me why I love being a Jayhawk. 

So there you have it. Although vague and straightforward, I’ve hopefully picked out one helpful hint to aid you in recognizing these songs at sporting events. I know the references are mostly football-based, but I’m very, VERY hopeful about this season (and you should be too!) I’ve also relied very heavily on band references and apologize for my bias, but I know they’ll be on their game next weekend and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to interview known experts. So come on KU collegiettes, let’s try and get a leg up on the men for that first football game next Saturday!