This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Every year around the New Year, I tell myself my only is to read more. I love reading, but every year I fail to make my goal, no matter how much I try! This year, I thought that if I wrote a review for every book I read and then publicly shared it, maybe I would be more motivated to make sure I’m reading every day and hitting my goals. I want to read a minimum of two books a month, and I have a stretch goal of four books a month. I’m super excited to share this goal with you all!

This month, I completed my goal of a minimum of two books! Spring break was such a nice time to catch up on reading and I wish I had the same amount of time when I got back to school, but unfortunately did not. But on the bright side, the books I read over spring break were great and made spring break worthwhile.

Flappers and Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald

(Read from February 24-March 8)

This is F. Scott Fitzgerald’s first collection of short stories. These stories are titled, respectively, “The Offshore Pirate,” “The Ice Palace,”  “Bernice Bobs Her Hair,”  “Head and Shoulders,” “The Cut-Glass Bowl,” “Benediction,” and “The Four Fists.”

Sometimes it can be hard to review short stories, because one might like some of the short stories better, while others might be deemed… not as good. But, overall, I really liked all of the stories.

I thought it was really engaging how the stories presented similar characters, but were all completely different.  My favorite stories were “The Cut-Glass Bowl,” which was a little mysterious, as it tracks a married couple and the tragic events that involve a cut-glass bowl that was given to them as a wedding gift. I also really enjoyed “Bernice Bobs Her Hair,” which was very funny and more light-hearted; this story follows two cousins who both strive for popularity. 

I definitely liked some of Fitzgerald’s other works better (*ahem* The Great Gatsby), but if you were in the mood for some entertaining short stories I would recommend these. 4 stars.

A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf

(Read from March 8-March 12)

A Room of One’s Own is a long essay, in which Woolf explains why female writers need a room of their own and money to be able to write.  Woolf creates a fictional sister of Shakespeare, who is just as talented as him, but, accordingly, lacked a room of her own and money so was not able to produce any work.

If you have read my past reviews you know that I have a great obsession with Woolf, but A Room of One’s Own is definitely one of Woolf’s best works. Although one could argue that Woolf’s argument is not as significant today, I would still say that it holds great importance due to the large discrepancy between opportunities offered to women vs. men. If I had to recommend any book for all women to read, A Room of One’s Own (and The Bell Jar) would be my recommendation. The Bell Jar is also a short essay, and although heavy in content, it is ultimately a quick read. 

If you are a huge Woolf fan like I am, or want a powerful and moving read, I would advise you to pick up A Room of One’s Own ASAP. 4.5 stars.

If you have any good reading suggestions that you’d think I’d like or have an opinion on any of the books I’ve read please comment! And if you haven’t read January’s or February’s edition, here you go! Happy Reading everyone!

Image credits: Amazon.com