burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Style Your Super Curly Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I didn’t have curly hair until I was in the sixth grade. Frankly, I don’t even remember when it first appeared, but I do know that when it came, it wreaked havoc. Up until then, I had relatively straight, wavy hair that was incredibly easy to fix. I say this now because up until my hair became curly, I don’t remember ever feeling like I needed to do anything fancy with my hair, which leads me to believe that it was pretty manageable.

When my curls first appeared, my head became a mop of frizz that I really had no idea how to handle. I started out trying to straighten it each morning, but after a while, that became too time and labor intensive, so I attempted unsuccessfully for many years to wear my natural hair. Since I had no idea how to properly wash or style curls, I was left with only a few go-to styles that I could actually do with my hair. This led me to really resent my hair for a long time because I could never get it to look the way that I wanted. As I’ve gotten older though, I’ve come to appreciate my hair more, and I’m working towards taking better care of it so I can show off all of its natural curly awesomeness.

Now I have multiple ways that I like to style my hair. Here are a few of my everyday styles that I love! They’re fast, easy, and very cute! All you need are a couple of hair ties, and some bobby pins

A Simple Half up, Half Down:

I would have to say that this is definitely my go-to hairstyle. It’s super easy, because it just requires you to separate the top layer of hair and put it in a ponytail, and it’s also an easy way to get your hair out of your face. I really enjoy this style because I can dress it up or down, it’s super cute, and I have a super curly top layer of hair, so when I want less volume on my head, this gets the job done without sacrificing having my hair down.

If you’re looking for something a little different, try the same hairstyle, but with a bun:

This feels a lot more casual to me, and although I really didn’t like the style when it first became popular, it has definitely grown on me.

If you’re digging the half up, half down style, I can tell you that I definitely do too! Another variation that I like to do is either pigtails or space buns:

I think that both of these looks are a lot of fun too. While the pigtails are definitely very playful, the half up space bun look actual makes me feel quite regal, which is very unexpected. Either way, both are wonderful.

Another style that is really just a classic is the messy bun:

Curly girls have it lucky because our hair already has that tousled, messy look that girls try so hard to achieve. Honestly, half the time I just through my hair up there and it looks good enough to wear for the rest of the day. I really like to pull out a few pieces after I’ve put my hair up to add to the messiness.

If you’re bored of buns or you are feeling a little more edgy than usual, try space buns!

They’re another super easy look for girls with curly hair, and they can be sleek and polished as well as casual and fun.

Braids for Days!

I’ve always had relatively short hair, so I could never braid my hair as well as other girls could, and on top of that, curly hair can pose quite the challenge when it comes to braiding. I really enjoy doing these double french braids in my hair though. They make me feel intimidating, but also fun. In order to do them, I like to spray a mixture of water and conditioner on my hair to get out any tangles and make it easier to manage while I manipulate it. 

And my favorite way to wear my hair? All Natural

I think that the way that I’ve been able to enjoy my curls more has just simply been by allowing myself to wear them naturally. One of the best compliments I have ever gotten on my hair was from my coworker this past summer. I spent all summer doing home repair, which meant that my hair was up a lot of the time simply because it made doing work and dealing with the heat substantially easier. One day I had rushed to get ready for runs, and in that rush I didn’t have time to put up my hair like I normally did. My coworker turned to me and after looking at my hair told me that he thought it looked incredibly “bad-ass.”

I love my curly hair because it makes me feel unique, and I try my best to allow it to do its own thing most days. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to appreciate it much more, and although my hairstyles are still quite basic, they work incredibly well with my lifestyle, and they make me feel good. So, if you’re looking for some new hairstyles to try out, or you just want some curl positivity, I definitely recommend all of the ones that I’ve done above.

Image Credit: Jenna Bouquot

Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia. 
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.