This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Name: Alexandra “Lex” Irene Kelley

Age: 20

Year: 2017

Hometown: Columbia, Maryland

Major: English with a concentration in Scientific Computing

Activities: Student Lectureships, BFC, and I run everywhere all the time.

Power animal: A hedghehog; I had a pet one growing up (his name was Scampi). I can be a little cold and reserved on the outside, but when you get to know me I’m warm and cute.

Hey Lex! You’re one of the Juniors on campus involved with Student Lectureships. How did you first get into that?

I replied to the e-mail and got accepted! I really enjoyed working with the women in the group at first, it was great to meet like-minded women dedicated to improving this campus experience. It’s interesting, because recently we’ve gotten a lot of male recruits. It’s exciting to see everyone becoming interested in our mission.

Who have you helped bring to Kenyon as a speaker since you first became a member?

I’ve seen a lot happen, most recently, with bring Chris Herren to campus. But my first big personal project was bringing the executive director of the NFL Players’ Union, DeMaurice Smith to campus last year. He was really close to DC and my internship was in the same area so we bonded over that! He is wonderful personal and an incredible speaker to have. He had a lot of great perspectives on making it in the corporate world but maintaining a sense of morality, too. It’s a tough line to walk, but he does it seamlessly.

What’s one of the best parts about being a member of the group?

The best part would be the ability to really hone my professional skills. I interact with a plethora of professionals on a regular basis.

In this group, I’ve met a lot of like-minded students who are serious about their future and bringing good speakers to Kenyon. We’re in a rural area, so it’s hard to bring people here- it’s a lot easier in an urban setting. We try to make this gap a little less sizeable, and try to give students the opportunity to network and connect with the speakers we are able to bring to our hill.

You’re also one of the student members of the BFC. How and why did you first get involved with the committee?

Again, through an e-mail! Bottom line, check and read your e-mails, they might contain something relevant to you.

After working at a corporate law-firm the summer before I applied, I was happy to find we had an activity where we could do something more professional, such as overseeing and delegating funds to student organizations on campus. It’s another way for me to improve my status in the professional work force ahead of the game.

If Jeni’s made an ice-cream just for you, what flavor would it be and why?

I really love lavender! If they could do a lavender dark chocolate, that would be wonderful. And add cherries to it!

If I could get a seasonal ice-cream, I need it to have pumpkin. 100%. Like a pumpkin cream cheese swirl! Yum.

Describe the perfect Kenyon day.

Not cold, to begin with. Like, reasonably temperate would be great. And I would have plenty of time to go running, and then be focused on work. At the end of the day, I would chill with my friends. (Editor’s note: She’s a little boring.)

Finally, what is one thing on your Kenyon bucket list?

I want to go to those caves at the end of the Kokosing! I just want to explore that area, the legendary caves.

Thank you Lex!