15 Important Lessons We Can Learn from The Devil Wears Prada

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that I spend my Saturday afternoons watching “educational films,” but if I’m going to take the time to watch a 2-hour movie, I want to learn something from it. Usually this equates to documentaries, but if I want some girl boss inspiration or need some tough love, my all-time favorite is The Devil Wears Prada. This movie is amazing for lots of reasons: the outfits are seriously awe-worthy, Stanley Tucci’s sass is on fleak, and most of all, there are heaps of advice you can take away from it. Below are 15 lessons we can learn from The Devil Wears Prada, with scenes to match.

1. DON’T PANIC! …but you should always be prepared to.

2. Keep your details of your incompetence to yourself, nobody cares.

3. Having boundaries at work is important, even if they get pushed sometimes.

4. Sometimes, it’s just a bad fit. But sometimes, a bad fit is just a great fit in disguise.

5. Be punctual, unless you’re dead.

6. Some people are toxic, and we can’t change them.

7. Never let the world rain on your parade.

8. Sometimes, you’re better off keeping your trap shut.

9. Keep your germs to yourself.

10. If you can’t abide by rule #8, then make sure know when it’s time to shut up.

11. Sometimes you have to fake it ‘til you make it.

12. Never keep your boss waiting.

13. Your name ain’t baby unless you want it to be.

14. It’s important to know when you’ve won…

15. …And when it’s time to quit.

BONUS: Meryl Streep is a goddess in the flesh and you cannot begin to argue that I am wrong.

Bottom line, girl bosses and bad employees can teach you an awful lot that is useful both inside and outside of the workplace.

Image Credit: Tumblr, College Humor, Giphy.com, Popsugar, E Online, The Odyssey Online
Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.    
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.