This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.
         Photo by Tatum Brock

Meet Dani Bennett; A fashion design student who enjoys being photographed by her friends in her free time. The Arizona native commits to every look, and likes to express herself through fashion and music. 

Age: 19 

Major: Fashion design

Hometown: Cave Creek, Arizona 

Her Campus: When did you start modeling?

Dani Bennett: I’ve never done anything professionally, but I started modeling as a hobby when I was a sophomore in high school. I have a lot of friends who are photographers, and my friends in design will ask me to wear the clothes they make, because I am the standard size. I also do a lot of editorial stuff for people’s portfolios.

Photo by Jesse Marianut 

HC: Do you do any modeling through Kent State?

DB: Yes, I am a part of A Magazine. I went to their model call and I know some people, so I’m in print. My friend is a photographer, so he takes pictures of me for the website. I really like it, because I get to style myself a lot of the time which is really cool. I also did Kent State’s Annual Fashion show, and I’m going to do it again this year.

HC: What’s your favorite photo shoot you’ve done?

DB: I did one where I put corn syrup and glitter on my face. I liked it because it expressed me. I like it when the photographer can show off their skills, and I can show my personality.

Photo by Benjamin Bartling

HC: Who are your modeling idols?

DB: My friend in Arizona, Madeleine Alexandra, shows off clothes really well so probably her. Also, Iris Apfel. She’s not a model, but she’s a stylist and decorates her body in clothes. I think that’s cool, because the center of the photograph is not always the clothes, it’s based on a feeling.

HC: What’s your greatest modeling accomplishment?

DB: I would say being in the Annual Kent State Fashion Show. It’s an honor to wear these pieces of art, because the fashion design students put so much work into each of their outfits. I like to see their dreams come true. It’s like being a canvas for an artist.

Photo by Meleah Honeycutt

HC: How would you describe your style?

DB: I try to change up my style every day based on how I’m feeling. Expressionist would be a good word to describe it in the way that I wake up every day and try to visually express how I’m feeling. Most of the stuff I wear is vintage, but I still look at modern clothes as well. I try to pull from everywhere.

Photo by Benjamin Bartling

HC: How do you change your look so often?

DB: Once a month, I go to the thrift shop and pick out something that catches my eye. It’s not always my favorite, but the most practical. I don’t try to fit into what’s popular at the time; I just pick out what I like. I try to do something I haven’t done before each day.

HC: What are your other hobbies and interests?

DB: I like to play the guitar. I play every day. I love music so much. I’ll go on Spotify and click on a related artist and listen to it all day. Some of my favorite artists are David Bowie, Ricky Nelson and Chad Baker.

Photo courtesy of Dani Bennett

HC: You have a blog called The Style Mixtape. Can you tell me about it?

DB: It’s a platform where I can talk about my two favorite things; fashion and music. It’s supposed to show new music, and new ways of thinking when you’re getting dressed. Sometimes when I get dressed, I think about the mood of a song and dress how that songs feels.

HC: Do you have any advice for anyone who wants to start modeling?

DB: People will admire you the most when you’re yourself. Don’t cake on all the makeup in the world, be yourself! Stupid, but true. When it comes to style, try something new every day!

Follow Dani on Social Media:

Instagram: @itsdanibennett

Facebook: Dani Bennett

Erin Keller

Kent State

broadcast journalism x fashion media 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.