Industry 81’s Mental Health Campaign Gives Dukes a Voice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Industry 81, a public relations capstone group, is running their campaign It Starts With You from February 15-March 15 right here on campus. The campaign aims to help JMU students realize that a more supportive and open culture surrounding mental health starts with them, and that they can be the source of positive change. The events are as follows:

Instagram Photo Event: February 21, 9am – 2pm @ Madison Union Info Table and February 23rd, 9am – 2pm @ ISAT Lobby Info Table

Take a picture pledging to be more understanding about the mental health issue, to be open to conversation about mental health, and to be a more supportive friend and community member. Share this picture and this message with your family and friends to show the importance of mental health to you. #ItStartsWithYou

Where do we go from here?: March 15, 1pm – 3pm @ Student Success Center Info Table

After a month of spreading awareness about mental health and the five signs across campus, visit the table to see how the campaign went and to see what you can do moving forward in regards to your mental health.

They’ll also be having proceeds nights to raise money for their campaign:

February 22 @ Benny Sorrentino’s from 5pm – 9pm

February 27 @ Dave’s Taverna

March 1 @ Greens & Grains

March 14 @ Tropical Smoothie

The campaign’s events and social media presence provide JMU students with a platform they’ve never had to express themselves. Industry 81 is made up of 5 students: Samantha D’Addario, Megan Grayson, Stephanie Smith, Jake Walters and Cheyenne Parker. They’re all members of JMU’s Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), and Samantha is president of PRSSA. This is the first effort that JMU PRSSA has made in competing for the PRSSA Bateman Case Study Competition, a national competition that lasts all year.

Be sure to “like” Industry 81 Facebook, and follow them on Twitter and Instagram!

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.