3 Feminist Books to Read Over Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Not sure how to fill your time this Thanksgiving break? Look no further. Besides eating lots of homemade foods and catching up on your sleep, Thanksgiving break is also a great time to read for fun again, a concept that is probably non-existent to most of us these days, between studying and exams. Unsure what to read? No worries – I’ve got you covered.

1. “The Glass Castle” by Jeanette Walls

“The Glass Castle” is a memoir detailing Jeanette Walls’ childhood, specifically in regards to her parents. Her family is forced to move constantly as a result of her father’s constant run-ins with the law, often related to his alcoholism. The memoir also explores women’s issues such as motherhood and domestic violence.

2. “White Oleander” by Janet Fitch

“White Oleander” is a work of fiction by Janet Fitch, which tells the story of a young girl named Astrid who finds herself in foster care after her mother is arrested for murder. The novel explores various women’s issues, particularly the treatment of women in the criminal justice system and women in foster care.

3. “We Should All Be Feminists” by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Being that it is Thanksgiving break, I tried to think about books that have to do in some way with family. However, I also highly recommend using this break to explore other works of feminist nonfiction as a way to educate yourself about feminism in general! “We Should All Be Feminists” is an essay by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in which she uses her own experiences to illustrate a definition of what it means to be feminist in our modern society, and why, well, we should all be feminists!

Happy reading and happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Her Campus JMU!

19-year-old intersectional feminist on a mission to spread love and encourage girls to embrace their sexuality and bodies. Also on the mission to find the most delicious cup of coffee.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.