jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Top 5 “Funnest” Classes at JHU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

It’s that time of year again–crisp weather, crackling leaves, football games, and, you guessed it: midterms. On any given day in October, you can hear the groans of Hopkins students across campus as they open their notes, assemble study groups, and descend into the depths of the library. Times like these are when everyone needs a reminder that not every class at JHU is as demanding, arduous, and downright painful as it may seem. It may come as a surprise that alongside the most difficult classes, Hopkins offers classes that are exciting, creative, and even, dare I say it: fun. So take a study break and read on for a list of the top five “funnest” classes here at Hopkins. Come course registration for next semester, you won’t regret it. 

1) Conversations with the Earth: A veritable legend here at Hopkins. Not only does it have the trippiest name of any class on campus, you also go on field trips to places like Gettysburg National Park to study geological phenomenons and pick up some knowledge about an iconic Civil War battle along the way. How’s that for interdisciplinary learning? 

2) Baltimore and the Wire: Do you like TV? Do you want to know more about Baltimore, your home for the next four years? Look no further. Actors and writers from the show, along with important Baltimore figures, come speak during class time, and plus, who doesn’t like watching TV show clips in class? 

3) Black and White Photography: If you’re looking for a good creative outlet, this is the class for you. Not only do you take field trips around campus and “woodland walks” over by Roland Park, you’re also encouraged to think outside the box, a good exercise for anyone tired of the same old routine. Also, you’re taught Photoshop, which is never a bad skill to have on a resume. 

4) Oral Presentations: Looking for a class that’s both entertaining and incredibly useful? Oral Presentations is for you. Public speaking, like it or not, is an crucial skill to have both in school and after graduation. You might as well learn it in a comfortable environment amongst your peers here at Hopkins.

5) Acting and Directing Workshop: You have to admit–taking a class taught by an actual celebrity is pretty impressive. John Astin of The Addams Family teaches Acting and Directing Workshop, where you learn the basics of acting and improvisation on stage. Nail the audition and you’re in!