The Jays and the Bees: Condoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

A few weeks ago, I was in a group study room on D Level for a club meeting– and I found a used condom on the ground. Now, I’m glad students are choosing to protect themselves against sexually transmitted infections (STIs), but I have to say: fellow student, please clean up after yourself next time, so the janitorial staff doesn’t have to! (And if your problem was taking it off properly, I encourage you to check out these tips!)

Condoms are one of the most basic sexual health tools, which is probably why we see them everywhere. Aside from reducing the risk of contracting an STI, condoms can also help to prevent pregnancy. Within the first year of using “male condoms” (what most mean when referring to “condoms”), 18 percent of women experience an unintended pregnancy, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Aside from “male condoms,” there are also “female condoms,” which have a 21 percent risk of unintended pregnancy.

Failure rates are much lower if you assume correct usage all of the time – 2 percent and 5 percent for “male condoms” and “female condoms,” respectively – but do you really want to assume? If you or your partner are concerned about pregnancy, try using a second type of contraception, along with condoms. This could include over-the-counter methods (like the sponge or spermicide) or prescription methods (like the pill or an intrauterine device (IUD), which I’ll discuss in more detail in a later post).

Compared to other forms of birth control, condoms are extremely accessible, which is why they’re so convenient to have around. On our campus, we can get free LifeStyles condoms from the Student Health and Wellness Center (HellWell) and discounted brand-name condoms through the Center for Health and Wellness Education’s (CHEW) “Condom Sense” program. Not to mention, they’re easy to find at most drug stores.

Now, let’s clear up some common questions:

1. Do condoms expire?

Yes. Like anything made of rubber, condoms will deteriorate with age. Check the expiration date– and don’t blindly save that one LifeStyles condom from freshman orientation. To ensure your condoms stay effective for as long as possible, store them in a cool, dry place (not in your back pocket or wallet) and keep it in its individual wrapper until you’re ready to use it.

2. Are spermicidal condoms better?

No. While using spermicide in conjunction with condoms can decrease the chance of pregnancy, there is no evidence spermicidal condoms are more effective than standard condoms, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). In fact, spermicide in any form (including gels, foams and lubricants) may even increase risk of contracting HIV, so if you or your partner haven’t been tested, go ahead and choose another form of birth control.

3. Do I need to stock various sizes?

No. While having a well-fitted condom is important, most are one-size-fits-all, and can stretch to absurd dimensions. Ever tried to fit one over your arm? It’s incredible. For comfort’s sake, do try out a few brands and sizes, to see which is best for you or your partner. But at the end of the day, just make sure a condom fits snug enough to not slip off during sex, and you should be fine.

4. I have extra flavored condoms. Should I use them for vaginal or anal sex?

No. Those strawberry and vanilla flavors come from somewhere, usually by being coated with sugar or corn syrup that can alter the vagina’s pH, potentially leading to a yeast or bacterial infection, according to Go Ask Alice!. Even without the risk of infection, these extra ingredients can cause irritation when used for vaginal or anal sex.

5. Should I use a condom during anal sex?

Yes– if you’re concerned about STIs. Since the risk of contracting an STI is higher for anal sex than other forms of sexual activity (for example, the HIV transmission risk for receptive anal intercourse is 138 per 10,000 exposures, contrasting 8 per 10,000 exposures for receptive vaginal intercourse, according to the CDC), practicing safe sex is especially important. However, if both you and your partner have been tested, using a condom as a barrier isn’t necessary (though it can help to keep things tidy).

Photo: http://buzzfeed.com/caseygueren/condom-commandments#.ny09aroNk

Jessica Kim Cohen is an undergraduate newspaper and magazine reporter at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md. Check out her writing outside of Her Campus JHU on Twitter: @JessicaKimCohen.
Megan DiTrolio is a writing seminars major at Johns Hopkins University.