HerCrush: Jennifer Lawrence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Before I ramble on about my girl crush on Jennifer Lawrence, I have to think about why other people love her, too.  In my opinion it is generally easier for a man in the entertainment industry because with the right amount of swag he can be adored by women and respected by men. The perfect example of this kind of man is Justin Timberlake.  But, the thing about women celebrities is that they fit into certain categories in our minds, and this determines whether or not we like them. Jennifer Lawrence is the Best Friend and we ladies don’t feel threatened by her.   It is much harder to be a woman in the entertainment industry because women are judgmental of their own gender. Poor Anne Hathaway and Kristin Chenoweth are teeming with talent but are deemed too perky or happy, which translates to fake or maybe even vulnerable.  Jennifer Lawrence, however, seems real to us.

Without further ado, my reasons as to why Jennifer Lawrence is amazing.

She is very talented and her characters are relatable

Fans of the Hunger Games will most likely adore her because she did a fantastic job portraying Katniss Everdeen. People think she was best suited for the role out of people her age in Hollywood. I thought she had the right amount of roughness and heart. I was also impressed with her performance in Silver Linings Playbook because her character was strong but also emotionally unbalanced, which is a hard combination to portray.  For someone so young, she has a prolific career already, being in indie films and blockbuster hits. She is also the second youngest person to win Best Actress.

She seems very genuine

Jennifer Lawrence is the most outwardly grounded person I can remember caring about in Hollywood. Emma Stone and Anna Kendrick also fit this category. Jennifer is very down to earth and puts up no fronts. You feel like when she talks she is really being herself. The craziest thing about this is that she is so new to the industry but seems to be completely comfortable when she is in the public eye.

She has flawless performances in social functions

She is silly in interviews. My favorites have to be her Entertainment Weekly interview, her Oscar Press Room interview, and her Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis interview. Her speeches seem unrehearsed and thoughtful. She is unpretentious and genuinely thankful which makes her a major crowd-pleaser. Jennifer is adored for being what the public wants her to be.

She trolls Ryan Seacrest

Every time she talks to him, it feels like she is trying to catch him off guard. He interviews so many celebrities and probably doesn’t know how to react to someone who tells him that she is starving on the red carpet. She also shot him with a plastic arrow. Take that, Seacrest.

Her facial expressions win the internet

Take a look at Tumblr. You can’t go ten seconds without seeing a gif of some weird face she made, and she knows it. For someone who is pretty expressive, I love this about her. This brings me to my last point…

She’s one of us!

She fell getting on stage when she won the Oscars! She is effortlessly lovable. I just want to be her friend!