you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips For Your First Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

So you nailed your first internship, congrats! Get ready for a rewarding experience that will get you one step closer to knowing what you want (or don’t want) to do with your life. Here are a few tips to keep in mind to be successful and make a good impression on your new coworkers:

1. Dress for success — Even if the company you are interning for has a relaxed dress code, it is always better to look professional. If you want to be taken seriously and be viewed positively, look the part.

2. Show ’em you mean business — Be on time for work every day. Even better, make sure you get there early, and stay late if you can. You may be a little tired getting up, but that’s what coffee is for! If you give it your all, even if it’s not an internship you’re all that interested in, you’ll get great reiews and recommendations when it’s all over. Want to get hired after? Make sure your emplyers know you’re a hard worker.

3. Go above and beyond — So you completed all of your assigned tasks… now what? Take on whatever extra work you can, even if it is simply busy work. Anything that makes life easier for your boss is a win for you too.

4. Network, network, network — While you’re out there participating in the daily grind, you should get to know everyone in the office. You can make some great contacts who could be crucial in helping you get hired in the future. 

5. Step up — Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you don’t know something, if you want to know more, it can only help you in the long run. Ask if you can sit in on meetings, or take on a new project. This shows that you’re willing to take initiative. 

6. Have fun — Joining in on work events does not simply have to be a networking opportunity. Sure, it doesn’t hurt to make contracts whenever possible, but you should remember to enjoy the experience. Make friends with your fellow interns and have fun while you work hard!