The Sore Thumb Not Going on Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Let’s be real, not getting to go on Spring Break sucks—whether for financial reasons, academic reasons, or your plans just didn’t work out. Instead of getting a sore thumb about not having the ultimate Spring Break, consider doing the following instead.

1. Catch up on your assignments—Don’t forget about those long-term papers and projects you were assigned in January. This is a great time to get started if you haven’t already. (Photo by Andrew Neel)

2. Volunteer in your community—Search for different volunteer opportunities. School-aged kids will still be in school, ask about volunteering at your old elementary school or the local YMCA. (Don’t forget to consider studying abroad!)

(Photo by Annie Spratt)

3. Search for new scholarships and/or grants—We’re college students. We can all use some extra money. Fastweb.com is my go to!

(Photo by Alice Pasqual)

4. Spend some quality family time. Even if you’re just watching tv or making dinner together, value this time together. (Photo by Adam Sherez)

5. Start a new hobby—You never know what you may find interest in, try something new and fun. Or, if there ever was something that you wanted to do Spring Break is the perfect time to do it. If the thought came to your head, why not act on it? For example, I always wanted to write a book. For a few years I have told myself that one day I will write it. Just last month, I began brainstorming and starting on my children’s book. (Photo by Aaron Burden)

6. Relax—Sometimes our bodies just need a break. Relax, do absolutely nothing. (Photo by Nicole Harrington)

7. Read a new book—I am currently reading two new books; Conversations with God and The 5 Love Languages. They are both great and hard to put down! (Photo by Radu Marcusu)

8. Catch up with an old friend—Being in college, most of us are away from our home. Some friends need more attention than other friends. For example, my best friend understands how busy I am, and we can go weeks without texting or talking, but as soon as I go home everything is normal. Compared to another friend that I have who feels that if I do not text her several times a week, our friendship is off. If you have any friends back in your hometown who do not quite understand the whole “college thing,” go spend some time with them.

(Photo by Karina Carvalho)

9. Find a new TV series to watch—My go to right now is The Chi!

(Photo by Charles Deluvio ??)

10. Work—While everybody is away on trips spending money, be different and SAVE MONEY. Find a short-term job, like babysitting. Care.com is always looking for college student babysitters.

(Photo by Dakota Corbin)

While you may not be going on the Spring Break of your drreams, try planning a stay-cation or find joy in the little things that come just from being away from school for a week. 

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."