How to Survive Finals: IUP Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It’s that time again of the semester where we have to go to the library to meet up for dreaded group projects, write term papers, and study. We all would rather just skip finals week and go straight to Christmas break that consists of hours of binge watching on Netflix, playing with the family pet, sleeping, working tons of hours to make ourselves less broke, and Christmas related activities with friends and family. If you do not have to deal with this dreaded week of finals, many people envy you. There are many tricks and maneuvers to survive this wonderful week of stress, anxiety attacks, and mental breakdowns.

Plan out your week:

Making a game plan for your finals helps a lot and assists with figuring out where you have time to relax. This helps you figure out what you will need to get done each day and will help with any procrastination. It make you feel accomplished when you finish a section.

Find your study method:

Not everyone studies the same way, so there are many ways to ace your finals. Some people stake a tiny section in the library, and some would rather study at home. Coffee shops such as Commonplace are a popular hangout for doing homework and studying. It can help to make up rhymes and mnemonics for difficult classes. Overlearn your material because it will help you out in the long run. The key is to get started when it comes to studying for tests and finals. There are classes that you will not be able to cram and those will need long extended periods of time for studying.

Use your resources:

Even though finals week should not be the time that you figure out your professor’s office hours, it does not hurt to go to them for advice. They are there to help you out, not to yell at you. It can seem very intimidating at first, but you will become a natural in no time when it comes to going to office hours. Professors notice that you are trying when you go to office hours and it will be crucial when you are in between grades. Do not be that person who thinks that a D is going to turn into an A through a final because it is not going to happen. The business college is offering a lot of tutoring for difficult core classes and this is promoted throughout Eberly. It’s also not too late to try a Supplemental Instruction! Bonus: most of the tutors offer practice tests to help study for the final. 

Take care of yourself:

After you take a final test or submit a project, make sure to give yourself a little break. Popular methods of self-help can consist of getting a cup of coffee, taking a run or walk, getting lunch/dinner, and taking a social media break. The school is sponsoring many events to help people with stress including stress balls, free food of all kinds, therapy dogs,

Make sure to ace your finals and reward yourself with some deserving sleep! Good luck on all of your finals!

Hi everyone! My name is Bonnie and I am a junior fashion merchandising major at IUP. My hobbies include watching scandal and gossip girl,eating popcorn, spending time in coffee shops,and going shopping at TJ Maxx.I love to write and talk about interesting topics.