Decorating Your Apartment on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

For most students in college there comes a day when they say goodbye to their cramped dorm room and move into their first college apartment. Typically this means a room of your own, a shared or possibly private bathroom, a kitchen, and shared living space. That’s a lot of ground to turn into your own space, into a temporary home for a semester or two. Decorating, unfortunately, costs money. And it can cost significant amounts of money. Luckily there are tips you can follow and ideas you can use to make your first apartment a great space without spending a ton of money.

The first thing you need to do before going out shopping is creating a list of things you need. Do you need a lamp for your desk or next to your couch? Do you need something to store your kitchen utensils in? Or maybe a rug to store your shoes on by the front door to protect the carpet? Figure out items like these first and make a list. Those will be the things you shop for first. If you have any money left over then you can look into other items to buy.

Now is the fun part, shopping. Check the thrift store first. The thrift store can be overwhelming at times but patience with it can yield some amazing finds. Great things to look for at the thrift store include picture frames, dish sets, and small decorative knick-knack type objects. Sometimes you can find bigger pieces like chairs or small couches but it isn’t always a guarantee and can vary widely by where you local thrift store is located. When shopping at a thrift store it is incredibly important to inspect every single thing you are considering purchasing. Check for tears, holes, rips, or dings in the product. Is any part loose or is anything rattling when you pick it up? Are there chips in the china of a dish set or dents in a pot? If your thorough inspection doesn’t turn up anything then go ahead and get it if you like it.

After the thrift store check, T.J. Maxx or Marshall’s or other stores like this. Check out the clearance section first and then go from there still shopping from your list. Like the thrift store, it is important to check over your items to be sure there are no flaws. More often than in other stores, you may find chips in a plate or mug and so on. If you find a damaged item that you’d still like to buy, bring the damage to the attention of the sales clerk. Oftentimes the manager can take an extra ten to fifteen percent off of the item.

If you’re in need of big items like bed frames, couches, kitchen tables, and so on, take a peek on Craigslist. You may find great deals on new or next to new items very inexpensively or sometimes for free. When searching for things on Craigslist always request photos of them item you are considering. If the item is small and easily transportable ask the seller to meet you in the parking lot of a grocery store or anywhere public to do the exchange. If you must go to someone’s home to pick up a piece of furniture take a friend or family member along with you. For large items be prepared to provide the transportation needed to move the item from its origin to your apartment. Also be prepared to pay in cash or with a check. Don’t forget you can haggle with the seller! Shopping through Craigslist can be daunting but don’t let it scare you off. You can find great things for great prices on Craigslist.

Lastly for budget shopping, don’t be afraid to check out the dollar store. If you enjoy decorating for the season or the current upcoming holiday, the dollar store is the perfect place to grab some decorations. The dollar store is also great for kitchen utensils if you find yourself needing anything along those lines.

For those finishing touches to add personality to your new place, DIY it! Use supplies found at the thrift store and craft store to create you own decorations. Pinterest is always a fantastic source of inspiration for things of this nature. DIYing can be intimidating and it is easy to overestimate your abilities and end up with a blob of nothing. Start small and work up from there learning what your abilities are and honing others. Some great ways to start DIYing could be making your own refrigerator magnets or decorating a tall mirror or pictures frames. There are a thousand and one things you can do with mason jars and they can almost always be picked up at the thrift store for less than a dollar.

I'm currently a sophomore at IUP studying in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. Someday I hope to be a history and ESL teacher. I like to spend my spare time watching movies and baking cookies.